• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a .pdf into an email newsletter?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I've converted a document to .pdf . . . is there any way to make the contents of the .pdf something I can put into the BODY of an email?  I get emails all the time from retailers about sales, etc. that have hyperlinks, etc in them.  Is it possible to do that with a .pdf document?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Well, whatever the reason may be, it is possible, but I would highly recommend against it. For starters, it would require a custom-made script to convert the PDF file to plain-text. And it will look awful, as you'll lose all formatting, links, images, etc. It will just be a long string of text.

You could convert each page of the PDF to an image, and then send all of those images as attachments, but that isn't very user-friendly, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to copy the entire contents of a PDF into the message body of an email? What's the point? Why not simply attach it to the email?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the question I asked her.  Here's her full email to me:

Pam – I’ve decided to stop sending a customer newsletter via snail mail.  As I was preparing my taxes, I’m looking at expenses, and the return on these just isn’t there – the cost for you to prepare it is tiny, but printing an dpostage keep getting more expensive.  The only people who don’t get my email version are the old ladies without a computer or those who really don’t want to hear from me….so it’s just not a good use of my time.

I really wish you’d consider, in the future, making some sort of customer newsletter that is email friendly.  I use mail chimp – I know a lot of people use constant contact.  (it’s a paid service, where mail chimp is free).  I could upload things someone else creates as a jpeg, but I can’t use a pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, whatever the reason may be, it is possible, but I would highly recommend against it. For starters, it would require a custom-made script to convert the PDF file to plain-text. And it will look awful, as you'll lose all formatting, links, images, etc. It will just be a long string of text.

You could convert each page of the PDF to an image, and then send all of those images as attachments, but that isn't very user-friendly, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. I agree.  Maybe it's something I do in Publisher BEFORE I convert it to .pdf.  Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really ask why she can not just send out a PDF Newsletter by e-mail. Why does she need a service? Seems like a waste. Mail Chimp looks like a newsletter design tool that has the distribution integrated. If the newsletter is already complete in PDF, what is the purpose of such a service? Just e-mail the newsletter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.  No clue of what she's thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is obvious and everyone with a marketing expereince knows- people don't open files but they will look at emails.  This is the big reason mail chimp and constant contact exits.  They have intergragted design tools (not as good as adobe).  But you can send as an email-NOT AN ATTACHEMNT.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X does have several "save as" features, including:

Microsoft Word

Rich Text

Plain Text

HTML

One of those formats may be better suited for email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I found that after I create my InDesign Newsletter and convert it into a PDF format, I use a screen capture tool such as Snagit to capture each page. Then I open Photoshop and save each screen captured page as an image suitable for web use (Optimized) numbering them as p1, p2, etc.. Since I use Office 365,  I build a table in my email page and place my pages in each cell. I typically stack them one at a time. Usually 900 pixels wide x whatever in height makes it possible to read for the viewer. (My newsletter is built like a typical printed piece.) then I email blast it to our customers/clients.

1. Build newsletter in InDesign (I also use Illustrator and Photoshop and images for graphics)

2. Export as a print version PDF file.

3. Open the PDF file and Screen Capture each page (I use Snagit)

4. Open Photoshop and stack all screen capture images in a PSD format

5. Save each page in optimized web format (Save a p1, p2, to make it easy for email placement)

6. Open your email Browser. If you have the tools to do so, make a table

7. stack your optimized newsletter pages in order

8. Send it to your clients/customers.

Note: Make sure the images are optimized or the viewer will be frustrated with it loading in their email viewer.

You can also attach your PDF file Newsletter as an option for the viewer as well.

I hope this may help someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I won't say that. First, you can utterly simplify the solution: Export the Indesign directly to a Pixel file. Second, this will send out pixel files, and not text files. Third, you should utterly simplify your newsletter. Sending out several pages of graphics as a newsletter is cluttering the recipient's mailbox. 

Mailings are simplified web pages, you should get into that.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sucks, I would think by now (2018) someone would have found a way around this, or they'd give us access upon special request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really happy they can't. Email is for short text stuff, and you can link to newsletters easily. That way people who pay for usage are MUCH happier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open a new email, choose Insert, Object & select your pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this way and it does work... it does not look as clean though. Is there any other way so that it looks as clean as a .pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a online email broadcasting service called eSimply.com

Its like Constant Contact and MailChimp, but has been designed for sending PDF files.  It will probably meet your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines