• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop the side toolbar from appearing every time I open a pdf in Acrobat DC?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right side tool bar is annoying in Acrobat DC . How can this be fixed?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Hi there,

The new "right hand toolbar" in Acrobat DC is always on by default, proving instant access to frequently used tools. That said, we're definitely hearing a # of customers that want Acrobat DC to "remember" the last state. So if you close it, it'll remain closed when you open it next.   Looking to have a fix in place in next ~3 months here. 

Thank you for the feedback.

Jon Perera

Vice President

Adobe Document Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aadesh,

That partially solves the issue, but there is one change that is still needed: one must be able to either disable the sidebar completely, i.e., remove the stripe n. 2 (in blue on the picture below); or at least move it to the left of the window instead of the right, since the right edge is historically reserved to the scroll bar (stripe n. 1 in blue on the picture below) and moving the scroll bar away from the edge and inserting something between them certainly downgrades the usability: users are used to move the mouse completely towards the right to reach the scroll bar, but that isn't possible anymore, because if they do the same and click they'll activate unwanted sidebars(!), and that doesn't happen in any program, but only in Adobe Reader!

Don't you think that should be changed or, at least, customizable by the user?

Captura de Tela (40).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

The issue has been fixed in the latest update, please refer to this release note Hide the Tools panel permanently in Acrobat and Acrobat Reader DC.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing this preference setting worked for me (which is great), but I am more concerned about what my clients see when I send them a PDF. When most clients receive a PDF they are only concerned with viewing the artwork/proof. I have been designing with Adobe software for over 25 years and have currently over 100 corporate clients and in all those years I have only had ONE CLIENT that ever used a markup tool in Reader (and it made my life a living Hell). Most people using Reader (that I have as clients) can barely figure out how to turn their computer on as it is. ALL these tool bars should be OFF by default. If they are smart enough to use them (or need them on a regular basis), they are smart enough to turn them on if they want them!

As far as Acrobat Pro DC, I am pulling my hair out with all the windows and tools popping up - I feel like I am working on Windows! Can't see what I am working on for all the toolbars and junk - 99% of which I never use and if I did I know where to find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just minimizing the RHP closing Acrobat and reopening does the job in the current version as mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't fixed on my Mac.  Same stupid toolbar.

Common Adobe, get with the program.

Is this fix working for anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the still there every time I open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, it is now October 2, 2015, and I don't believe it has been fixed.  What is taking you so long?  Everyone I talk to finds DC extremely obnoxious!  Make the default without it with a simple click to pull it up when needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been fixed as yet?  It is driving me crazy!1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is. Go to Edit > Preferences > Documents and tick off "Open Tool pane for each document".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to see the picture below?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. If you want to share an image you have to do so via the forum interface (ie, not via email) by using the Camera icon.

Also, you should mention what version of Reader you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat DC professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe DC (Document Cloud) professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the reply from last year from jerryANDtom...

(need to be adminstrator)

Go to the install directory, i.e." C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroApp\ENU". Create a new subfolder (I used "Disabled"). Move 3 files from the "ENU" folder into the new "Disabled" folder: AppCenter_R.aapp & Home.aapp & Viewer.aapp. Open a PDF and no more Tool Pane!

This fixes the problem. Hooray! And thanks to jerryANDtom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTE EVERYONE: THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT ANSWER.

Why is this considered the correct answer? Who decided? I thought this was our (as in "user") forum, not some place for marketing geeks to tell us the company line. And BTW - he promised a fix in three months. Today marks 10 months from the promise.

"Correct" means helpful and solves the problem, not . The "correct" answer is below from jerryANDtom. It actually solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another issue I can't resolve, and I can't find an answer.  I once selected "Search Tools," and now every time I click on (just) Tools my entire document is covered with all tools.  How can I disable this?  Have rebooted, of course, to no avail.  Selecting "Document" restores the pdf to view, but once I need a tool, this odd little occurrence happens again.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Adobe DC Tools issue.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been well over a year now, and that useless tools pane keeps opening, even though I close it every time.  Who uses these tools?  The number of people reading PDFs dwarfs the tiny number who actually have Acrobat, so these tools are useless for 99% of your users.  Just stop it!  There are other PDF readers and I'm switching to one of them until Acrobat gets its act together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most users of Adobe Acrobat needs the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's probably true, but most users of Acrobat READER do not.  There are many, many times more Reader users than the Acrobat users, as evidenced by the pages & pages of Google search results in how to remove the tools sidebar. 

In any case, you said well over a year ago, that there would be a fix for this.  Where is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit - Preferences - Documents and tick off the box that says "Open tools pane for each document".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, then closed Reader, but when I reopened that damn pane was there.  Thought it might need a reboot, so did that, still the pane opens.  Judging from the input on this forum, this is really annoying people & Adobe is doing nothing to stop it.  Going to switch to another PDF reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this toolbar on the right, when it's been on the left for years and years.  Why would you do something so ingorant to the users??

1) the toolbar MUST be returned to the left side where it has been for years

2) it was always available as needed, not forced on us like now.

3) IF IT'S NOT BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT

---  So now that you did break it - fix it.

4) HOW can I go back to a version before this nonsense came to be?

Adobe doesn't care about real users.  That's clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines