• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I update a pdf from version 1.3 to 1.4?

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to send a pdf document in version 1.4 or higher but when I scan it comes out as version 1.3.  How do I update the pdf version 1.3 to version 1.4?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

By definition, a PDF 1.3 file complies with the PDF 1.4 specification except being labelled as a PDF 1.4 file.

The other way around isn't necessarily true. I suspect that whoever is specifying the requirement for PDF 1.4 is really saying they don't want to or can't accept a PDF 1.5 file or higher. 😃

If you are dealing with someone who doesn't understand this, you can force the PDF 1.3 file to be labelled as PDF 1.4 by using the Save as => Optimized PDF function, specifying no changes to the

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By definition, a PDF 1.3 file complies with the PDF 1.4 specification except being labelled as a PDF 1.4 file.

The other way around isn't necessarily true. I suspect that whoever is specifying the requirement for PDF 1.4 is really saying they don't want to or can't accept a PDF 1.5 file or higher. 😃

If you are dealing with someone who doesn't understand this, you can force the PDF 1.3 file to be labelled as PDF 1.4 by using the Save as => Optimized PDF function, specifying no changes to the PDF other than having the file comply and be tagged as PDF 1.4. That should work.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you accomplish this without Adobe Pro?

In my case I'm trying to upload a PDF to a banking website to show proof of insurance and the uploadinng interface says that only PDF versionn 1.4 can be uploaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the PDF file in a Text editor (Notepad++, BBEdit…) and edit the version number on the first line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked great.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that didn't work at all, there's something about pdf 1.3 that google api refuses to accept and only printing it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. Worked like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bank is requiring the pdf in a new version 1.4 or later, the question is How to convert the old version to a new version, to upload the file. The bank link does not allow to upload version before 1.4. My version is adobe 1.3

The question is how to do it?

Fernando DaCosta

You are not answering the question, How to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF 1.4 = Acrobat 5

PDF14.png

PDF14bis.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - thath helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines