• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How support Arabic OCR technology?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are heading to 2021, and Adobe still does not support Arabic OCR technology!
I expected this technology to be supported by a recent update.
I'm now unfortunately disappointed with Adobe.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expected this technology to be supported by a recent update.

Which update? Was there an announcement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing that. I see it is much discussed. We have nothing to add to that discussion, it is Adobe's positition. We are just end users, so posting here doesn't move anything forwards. Or backwards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arabic is an extremely difficult language to OCR due to the nature of its alphabet (especially the connected script and diacritics). My guess is Adobe is not seeing a big enough marketplace for it to justify such development. If enough people ask for it, that might change, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67, we Arabic language users thought the same back in the '80s that Arabic is too hard for developers to serve. However, many developers overcame most of these obstacles years ago in so many areas including OCR. We have a stand-alone OCR application for many years from Sakhr.com whom are based in Kuwait. There is this Russian company which I cannot recall their name had also developed an Arabic OCR for scanners, and another company based in Dubai developed an enterprise archive solution that includes OCR for Arabic newspapers, municipalities, councils, and general government usage.

The Arabic language is used by over 350 million people, in 20 odd countries, on top of this, Farsi, Urdu, Pashto, Dari, Kurdish, and a few other languages share the same Arabic alphabets which adds to the total of 800 million people that need such service.

So it is fair to say Adobe with its army of developers and programmers is capable of developing OCR for the Arabic language - if and when they want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's certainly possible. Never claimed it wasn't, just that it's not simple. And I'm sure Adobe would have done it already if they thought it worth the investment. I guess they don't consider it to be...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although there are local companies that have developed this, it is a shame for Adobe not to do that, Adobe can acquire these companies, for example, there are about a billion users who may need this service in the near future and in light of the electronic transformation in the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines