• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to block auto url text?

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a problem that I can not solve.
In a PDF file when there is a URL text (eg www.google.com) it automatically becomes linkable.
Even if I remove the link, the text remains clickable.
How can I make all URL text non-clickable?
Thanks everyone for the help.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a setting of the application. You can't disable it from your file.

What you can do, though, is prevent the application from detecting the link, for example by removing the "www." part, or even by adding a space after it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that from the preferences I can disable the link, but I wish it was also for other people reading the file. I would like the link to always be locked in the file.

Being a file that I have to publish, I cannot delete the www or leave spaces in the text that shouldn't be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your only other option is to replace the text with an image, then.

Why does it matter if there's a clickable link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because many text urls that I post expire over time and are no longer clickable.
Sometimes users are confused by the possibility of being able to click the link, but then not find a reachable site.

May I ask what you mean by turning text into image? Is there an acrobat tool to do this automatically?
A thousand thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why include them in the first place? What's the purpose of a (potentially) non-working URL? Include instructions on how to find the information, instead.

It's literally an image that contains the text of the URL, instead of "actual" text. Like this:

try67_0-1675155673547.png

vs. real text:

www.google.com

(here, too, it was automatically converted to a link when I entered it)

No, there's no way to do that automatically in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. The setting in question can be found under Edit (or the app menu on a Mac) - Preferences - General - Create links from URLs. Untick it to remove those links from being created on your computer only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know thanks.
But unfortunately this solution does not solve my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What method are you using to remove the links?  And when you state that the text remains clickable, does the cursor behave as if you would click, it would be interacting with a link, or does it create an insertion point (as in editing)?  I am finding some peculiarities with this routine as well - it does not behave as expected.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To remove the link use the Edit tool.
But the url text is not recognized as a link and is not deleted. This type of text always remains clickable.

My goal is to block all url text without changing its text.

Can you help me find a solution? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only possible solution was already mentioned by try67. This, however, will be a huge nuisance for people who want to copy and extract the link, and may also be illegal if you are legally obliged to make accessible PDFs.

Many apps will scan a PDF page text for what looks like a link, and make it live. There is no way to turn this off for other people's apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is no solution?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines