• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to combine individual files into one file then OCR it so the entire file is searchable?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm scanning each page of a textbook as an individual file for each page then combining the pages to make one file in Adobe DC Pro.  That works great.  I'm having issues with OCR however.  How can I OCR the combined file so that it OCRs the entire document (all pages of combined file) instead of each individual page?  Right now, after the file is combined, when I search, it will only search the page I'm currently on, not the entire document.  I have run the edit PDF option on the combined file, but it is not acting how I expect it to.  Any suggestions how to combine individual files into one document after they are scanned then OCR the combined file so it is searchable?  How should I be saving the individual pages when they are scanned?  Thank you.  

TOPICS
How to , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out.

As you are combining scanned files into one file and then trying to run OCR, please let us know what happens.

It would be helpful if you can share a small video or the screenshot with us.

Would you mind sharing the scanned files so we can check it on our end? 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Tools > Scan & OCR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not all that sure what your curren process is but if you scan the pages one by one and then process them one by one, you'll be spending a lot of time waiting.

If you scan within Acrobat there is an option to scan the next document as part of the previous document, that option is sticky.

However, if you have already scanned the documents and have already converted them into one document, if you go to Scan and OCR, there is an option to Recognize text in the file you're looking at or in a folder of files.

2021-08-12_08-26-05.png

Here's one more tip: if you scan and save the individual files in the TIF format, as you save the files they will self-number as they collect in the receiving folder (scan.tif, scan-2.tif, scan-3.tif). When you are done with all of the scanning, you will need to rename the first scan from scan.tif to scan-1.tif. Then select ALL of the files and drag them onto the Acrobat Pro icon. Acrobat will ask you if you want all of these placed in the same document, click Yes. Then, becuase you scanned in the tif format, it will automatically OCR the entire file. If you scan it in the JPG format or the PNG format, this will not work.

Hope tht helps,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines