• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to define Adobe Acrobat as default software to open pdf file in Excel file links

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !
I use Microsoft Excel to gather links directed to pdf files on my firm's network.

Then, I can click on a cell to open a pdf file.

Nevertheless, when I click on a link of my Excel file, I cannot choose which pdf reader will open the file, even if I specified (in Windows parameters) which software should open these pdf files.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Adrien

TOPICS
How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which method did you try to make Adobe Acrobat the default PDF handler on Microsoft Windows?

Sometimes, instead of setting up a default program by app, Microsoft recommends to set the default app by associating it by protocol or by file type (via Control Panel => Settings).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply !
Indeed, I set up the default program by app.
In the settings, I see plenty of protocol and file types. I changed a few of the ".pdf" extensions I found for Adobe (.pdf, .pdx, etc...), without a change.
Maybe I should try with the protocol, but I don't know which one corresponds to "pdf file opening by Excel".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to "Choose default apps by protocol"

There are two entries of interest:

• ACROBAT (URL: Acrobat Protocol)
  • MS-EXCEL (URL: Excel Protocol)

If this entry to the right is blank, for example, click on the "+" sign "Choose a default"  and click "Excel" from the "Choose app" context menu.

If  next to the Acrobat entry is empty , do the same steps for Acrobat, but select Adobe Acrobat (not Excel).

This will ensure that both programs are handling their own protocols rather than the OS choosing a default program to handle certain undocumented  actions.

See if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, but I am still in trouble here.
Maybe it is more an Excel issue than an Adobe one, I will try to contact Microsoft assistance, and post back here if I find a solution.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

And thank you for updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines