• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to draw a line on pdf in acrobat pro?

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but complete newbie here and after looking at very slow help section Adobe am close to giving up.

How can i draw a line (of dots and dashes preferrably) on a pdf plan drawing of a building plan. I have imported the pdf (a plan view of a building plot with house and fencing etc.). I would like to add a line (both straight and shaped) where there isn't one and erase a part of a line where there is. I can add text and all of the other things (but i don't want to) but can't find the "line drawing tool"  I am using Continous Release Version 2020.012.20041 downloaded yesterday on Windows 10 Entreprise .  I have the "edit and test tool" but all of the options are grayed out and I can't no "line" there anyway. Please help - anyone.  Thanks

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Hi Nick,

Be a bit warned, this is a bit clunky but very doable.

After you go into shapes, select "Line" and draw your line

2020-08-14_08-23-01.png

After the line is corrected, you will see the line options to the right (next to #1). When you click on that you can directly change the thickness and you'll also see a "Gear" icon, click that (#2)

2020-08-14_08-20-49.png

This brings up the Line Properties. From there on the left isde you can see "Style" options, (#3) and there are dots and dashes to your pleasure. Plust you can alter Ends, T

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the Drawing Tools at Tools > Comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Very helpful. have found it.  two more related questions thought (sorry) - how to draw a straight line between two points (or do i just have to keep my hand steady?) and how to change the line to a dotted line (is that possible in the menu somewhere?). Thank you again for the first help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Be a bit warned, this is a bit clunky but very doable.

After you go into shapes, select "Line" and draw your line

2020-08-14_08-23-01.png

After the line is corrected, you will see the line options to the right (next to #1). When you click on that you can directly change the thickness and you'll also see a "Gear" icon, click that (#2)

2020-08-14_08-20-49.png

This brings up the Line Properties. From there on the left isde you can see "Style" options, (#3) and there are dots and dashes to your pleasure. Plust you can alter Ends, Thickness (much easier than dragging that slider) and a few other options.

IMPORTANT, these settings will not automatically be sticky but you can make them sticky. If you look at the very bottom of this window you can see "Make Properties Default." When you check that, the settings will then be sticky until you change them. 

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great. Thank you. Easy when you know how but not obvious when you don't. thank you everyone for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don*t have that symbol for "shapes", where do I find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The various "shapes" are found in the Comments section. The Comments section can be found in the Tools window:

2022-03-01_08-43-27.png

Or, the Comment can be found on the right side of the screen. (Note: these can be added or removed by the user and the exact vertical location can vary.)

2022-03-01_08-43-52.png

Once you open the Comments tool, all of the Shapes for drawing can be found.

2022-03-01_08-44-25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding adding a line, I've noticed on someone else's version of their Adobe (using the same version that I am). On their 'Fill and Sign' icon, to the left of the signature option, there was a number of icons that allowed the user to add a line (no fiddling about making it straight), adding a dot, etc.  I have not been able to find these anywhere apart from what is mentioned above re: the line.  

Does anyone know how to add these to the menu bar for the 'Fill & Sign' option.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to add these to the menu bar for the 'Fill & Sign' option.

Open a document without form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Bernd for your reply.  

Just as an FYI.  When using the 'line' under the 'Comment' tool.  If you press the Shift key while drawing the line, it will automatically make it straight.

Thanks  again for helping out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines