• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to embed fonts in a pdf form ?

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a simple form with 3 text field in a custom font in indesign. When exporting to pdf, the font show up fine on my computer, preflight show they are not embedded. I've even install those font on a coworker's computer and sent him the form. When we open it with acrobat reader the font displayed is Arial (I think). We've tried checking and unchecking "use local fonts" in his acrobat preferences with no help.

I've looked everywhere, apparently you're supposed to use preflight and click on "analyse and fix". I've seen several videos about it but in my acrobat DC I only have an "analyse" button not fix! From indesign, there is no checkable option for embedding fonts in interactive pdfs. I'm using Mac Mojave and have the latest update of acrobat DC.

Any idea or someone with better googling skills ?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

In Acrobat it happens automatically, as it should. If that's not the case in InDesign then I would consider it a bug (which won't be the first one). Generally speaking, I would recommend creating your form fields in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat it happens automatically, as it should. If that's not the case in InDesign then I would consider it a bug (which won't be the first one). Generally speaking, I would recommend creating your form fields in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ha! I didn't think of that. Now that I've tried creating in adobe DC directly I get a message I didn't get in indesign

The selected font cannot be embedded in the PDF file because of licensing restrictions. If the PDF file is viewed on a system that does not have this font installed, Adobe Acrobat will simulate the appearance of the font. To preview the simulated font appearance, turn off Edit > Preferences > Page Display > Use Local Fonts.

So the problem comes from the font and not pdf. Thank you. At least I know what I want to do is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that makes sense. I think InDesign should have given you the same notification, though, so I would still consider it a bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign does not embed fonts into PDF form fields. Even fonts that can be embedded in Acrobat will not be embedded by InDesign.

Although with recent versions of InDesign you can select a font for your form fields, it is not embedded in the PDF as it would be had you selected the same font in Acrobat.

My recommendation is nevertheless to create the form in InDesign and use my FormMagic | Id-Extras.com​ plugin to embed fonts and much more, all in InDesign.

For short forms (1-page, 10 fields) there is a free version available.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So this really bad bug still exists 2 years later.

What a shame, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines