• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to extract part of a pdf page and save that as a pdf page on its own?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to extract part of a pdf page. I know how to extract full page, but that is not what I want. I need to extract part of it, ideally, using the mouse to select some rectangular area, and export the selected part to either separate pdf page, or to export to  vector graphics such as .svg

Is there a tool to allow one to do this? Currently I take screen shot of the page, and use other tools to extract the parts I want. thanks.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

You can crop the page to just the part you want, or you can use the Adobe

PDF virtual printer to print the current view as a new PDF file.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:40 AM, newIndesignUser <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can crop the page to just the part you want, or you can use the Adobe

PDF virtual printer to print the current view as a new PDF file.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:40 AM, newIndesignUser <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. The crop tools helps. But I am still not sure what to do after I select the area I want. I looked at Acrobat Help | Crop PDF pages

So, after I select the crop tool and select the area. Now what to do?

If I double click the cropped area, as the help says, it will just delete everything on the page except the cropped area.

How do I tell it to either export the selected area to .svg, or save the selected area to a separate one page pdf file?  I do not want to modify the original PDF file, I just want to make a copy of the cropped area, either to .svg image, or to separate pdf file, so I can include that in another document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do something like this:

- Extract the page in question as a new file (that way you won't be editing the original)

- Crop it to the desired size

- Export it to the format you want and save under a new name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you., Yes, this helps. But there should really be a simpler way to do this. One should be able to right click the cropped area, and do extract as separate pdf page.

Suppose I want to extract 2-3 things out of the pdf page. Now I have to do this process 3 times. One for each separate area.

But at least your solution does work. But Adobe really needs to make this easier to do. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're describing is possible, but it requires using a custom-made script. If you're interested in such a script, feel free to contact me privately.

If you want you can make a feature request to Adobe, here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FANTASTIC!!!!! THANK YOU!!! Worked like a charm!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Us the snapshot tool.

Top Bar select edit>more>snapshot
Then put the mouse cursor where you want, and drag to encompass with the rectangle what you want to select.

It will then copy to clipboard automatically, and you can then paste it where you want or in what other program you want it to go into.

Hope this is what you were asking for.  In the newer DC acrobat it wasn't easy to find.  In the older versions, it was just there. You used the mouse and selected what you wanted, and it took and image of that part of the page, and let you paste it where you wanted.

Took me a long time to find this snapshot tool, and it wasn't in the Adobe help pages either, that I could find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I've been wonderinng what happened to the snapshot tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why can't i find the snapshot tool? I am starting to want to go back to the Nuance products where htis was easy peasy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines