Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get PDF to auto generate new invoice number everytime it is open

Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a unique invoice number to show in the corner of a form.  I was thinking of the best way (maybe the easiest?) to generate a number..  I want the form when opened to automatically create this number.  In addition, one the PDF has been filled out and so on, then saved, I dont want that invoice number to regenerate once its opened again for whatever the reason.  Does this sound possible?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

My bad... The code should be:

this.getField("Invoice No").value = util.printf("%06d", Math.floor((Math.random() * 1000000) + 1));

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 139 Replies 139
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the semi-colon after the if-statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get an error "The value entered does not match the format of the field (Invoice)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the formatting from the field. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great!!!! wondering how to get it to start at a certain number and count sequentially from that number?  Trying to create a Invoice with Sequential numbers for accounting purposes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest thing to do is to setup the global.count variable in the console window.  

global.count = 500;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have the same issue. I was wondering what is the code if I want it to generate a new number every time it is submitted through an action button? My document is an order form for a single customer and I need to have a unique PO number created every time they send it to us.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum: I am getting the error code:

ReferenceError: invalid assignment left-hand side

1:Document-Level:PO number

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an error in your code. If you post it we could help you sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the javascript I added in Document JavaScripts:

this.getField("PO Number") = util.printf("%06d", Math.floor((Math.random() * 1000000) + 1));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change it to:

this.getField("PO Number").value = util.printf("%06d", Math.floor((Math.random() * 1000000) + 1));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've followed this entire thread from the first question to the last reply and I'm almost there for what I want to do. (I think).

We have a Bill Of Lading (BOL) pdf form with multiple fields to fill.  We want to create a sequential BOL number for each BOL so we have something to track and identify.

Following the scripts you've suggested here, I've managed to get the form "template" to create the BOL number sequentially.  However, when I save the template out to a particular filled in BOL, the new file number increases when I open it (these are emailed so this is very not good - LOL).  Further, the "template" file increases by 2 when I reopen to create another BOL.

Am I asking for too much?  I want a template BOL that generates BOL numbers, sequentially, so that once created the newly created BOL pdf keeps the number it has (remains static) and the template BOL pdf increases only by one digit when it's opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to clearly define under what conditions the number should change, and should not change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I found where you had answered a question about  auto-numbering code for pdf documents.  I copied your answer to another person and got the number to auto generate, in sequence and without leading zeros, but I need it to stop changing once saved.  Your prior code stops at the print function.  I am NOT a programmer at all so if you answer this message please use easy language and small words...LOL!  Thank you!

cathyhansen1@sbcglobal.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try, I have a form which I built in Livecycle a few years back which auto generates new numbers in increments of 1 every time it's saved. However, if the form is cleared using the "clear form" option the control number is also deleted so I have to start back at 1. I need the form which a waybill to have a unique control number every time I use it without worrying about the numbers being reset. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm using FormCalc for the language with a the following calculation.

form1.#subform[0].Control_Number[0]::preSave - (FormCalc, client)

$ = this + .25;

The waybill is a 4 page document which is why I've set the number added to .25. Can you help with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to set the field's default value to prevent that. I don't know how you do that in an LCD form, though.

Try asking here: LiveCycle Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Try67

I been working on this since 2 weeks today

I am trying to create a pdf that should generate a unique requisition number
only after the user hit the submit button.

For example: User A filled the PDF form, then he hit submit button.
then the form will be sent to 3 managers, if any of the 3 managers opens
the pdf file they should see a requisition number generated automatically.

Does that makes any sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the problems with creating unique numbers for a PDF is that to this you need a unique event on which to do it. If one of the scripts provided in previous posts is placed in a document script, then every time the PDF is opened it will create a new number. But what you really want is for this number to be generated once per form use. So how do you do that? Solutions provided in previous posts to this thread suggest generating the number on a submit. This is a excellent idea since the submit represents the completion of the form.

Another way to do this is to create a reset button and generate the number on form reset. Since "reset" represents the beginning of the form filling process.

The important bit here is that JavaScript can't read the user's mind to know their intention, so whether or not to generate the number. Its your form, you create the usage model, and so you have to decide what unique event is going to be used to generate the form number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Try, 

I am hoping you are still contributing to the community as this thread looks older. I have created a randomly generated number in a form field and it works great; up until the point that I rest the form. After I hit the reset button on the form the field that generates a random number remains blank. How can I alter the Java to a generate the number after resetting the form? Here is the code I am using at the Document Level: 

this.getField("O&SA_ID").value = util.printf("%06d", Math.floor((Math.random() * 1000000) + 1));

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add your script to a "Run a JavaScript" action on the reset button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello try67,

Can you help me with the code to have the number change only when the pdf is saved?  I have a master template for a voucher.  Each time fields are filled in and then saved, I need the voucher number to update.  In the past we have printed vouchers with sequential numbering to track the vouchers.  We're trying to move to an electronic voucher system where the form is pdf fillable and the number updates each time the voucher is saved.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you help me with the code to have the number change only when the pdf is saved?  I have a master template for a voucher.  Each time fields are filled in and then saved, I need the voucher number to update.  In the past we have printed vouchers with sequential numbering to track the vouchers.  We're trying to move to an electronic voucher system where the form is pdf fillable and the number updates each time the voucher is saved.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what i have been trying to figure out only i want a database on a server to hand out the numbers so that multiple people in the company can access my requisition form. I can't find much help on google (perhaps i'm not searching the right words or terminology) if anyone can point me in that direction, i'd appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not longer possible to connect a PDF to a local DB, unfortunately. You'll need to find some other way of doing it.

I recommend using a random number instead of trying to create a sequential one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67,

could you help with something please?

I am using the your code to generate a new sales order number, everything working okay but my pdf has two pages page 1 the sales order page 2 T&Cs, when I switch between the tow the code changes? is there a way stopping that?

also I do not want my order number starting with 00 i just want a Radom 6 number without starting with 000

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What code did you use, and where did you place it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines