• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to have Acrobat perform OCR in the background?

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro 2020 is performing an OCR. As it is a large file, it takes quite a while. All that time it is taking a significant part of my screen: the minimize button doesn't work. All the time this 'wrist watch' is showing, making any resizing close to impossible.

Is there any way to solve this?

that aside,  during this this OCR task, I obviously can't open another pdf (will get some DDE error or something)

Thanks.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

If you're on Windows try Win+D to minimize the application and continue having it run in the background.

And no, you can't open any other PDF files while this is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Windows try Win+D to minimize the application and continue having it run in the background.

And no, you can't open any other PDF files while this is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK you! Indeed, that worked out fine. Obviously I wasn't aware of this trick.
Sadly, Acrobat can not run a 2nd session. Well, so be it.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can start a 2nd session with the option /n of acrobat.exe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
The thing is that Acrobat is running and performing an OCR task.
I go on, browse on Internet, download some PDF and open it, or even open it directly, without saving.... oops!
Or ... as another example, I need to open a PDF from HDD.
I was hoping Acrobat would be 'clever' enough to detect a running task and hence it would open the file automatically, in a separate session  / panel or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as reading another PDF while Acrobat is cranking away, you could download some free PDF reader for this if all you want to do is to read the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found a (relative poor) workaround: my Explorer replacement (Opus) can show the PDF in a preview mode.
So I can use that, after minimizing Acrobat.

[Off topic]
For a moment I considered installing Acrobat Reader, rather than an alternative 'free' PDF viewer.
I wasn't sure though whether it would results in 'conflicts and/or unexpected effects' of some sort, due to Acrobat already installed / associated to PDF.  
Anyway, I went over to the reader downloads and it showed Acrobat Reader 'DC'. Whilst still using a good-old non subscription based Acrobat-version (non-DC) I got puzzled as to why 'DC' was/is added to the reader.
AFAIK, to me, 'DC' (Document Cloud) = '$$'  i.e. subscription based product, offering cloud based storage.
Could only but conclude that Adobe simply added 'DC' to all their products, for uniformity sake... (??)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try67, is there anything comparable on the Mac for this Win+D option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm not a Mac guy so I don't really know of all the "hacks" that are available there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Windows guy so I didn't even know that was possible! :>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't feel bad, most people don't know all of these built-in shortcuts... From time to time it comes in handy, though! Like Win+E to open Windows Explorer, or Win+F to open the Find app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I tried Win+F now and it opened some Feedback tool... Damn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines