• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open pdf's in separate windows? [2016] [Locked]

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note from moderator: this post is from 2016 and things have changed. If you have a

question about the current version, please start a new post. This post is now locked.

Two answers are marked Correct. One is how to disable the "New Experience" and the other is

from 2016 and tells you how to disable tabs and see the PDFs in separate windows.

Separate Windows are not available (yet) in the New Experience. The first step is to disable it.

When I open different pdf's I want them to open in separate windows.

It is possible to manually separate the different documents after opening them by dragging the tabs.

But it doesn't seem to be possible to set as default that the files open in separate windows.

How do I do that?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Go to preferences (Edit>Preferences - on Windows), or faster is control-K (cmd-K on Mac).  Select the General category on the left, and look for the setting labelled 'Open documents as new tabs in the same window', and UNCHECK this.  You will need to restart Acrobat for this to take effect.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

On the newest version (May 2023), you have to first select "Disable New Acrobat" from the upper left hamburger menu first before the option to  "Open documents as new tabs in the same window" will appear. To make that option visible, you have to first "Disable New Acrobat"

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Hi All,

I hope you all are doing well. 

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as 'open cross-

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to preferences (Edit>Preferences - on Windows), or faster is control-K (cmd-K on Mac).  Select the General category on the left, and look for the setting labelled 'Open documents as new tabs in the same window', and UNCHECK this.  You will need to restart Acrobat for this to take effect.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I need help in this.I don't have Adobe acrobat in my system.Where do I go to edit-->preferences?

Regards

Pradeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the newest version (May 2023), you have to first select "Disable New Acrobat" from the upper left hamburger menu first before the option to  "Open documents as new tabs in the same window" will appear. To make that option visible, you have to first "Disable New Acrobat"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this once and it totally made Acrobat non-functionable. I had to have IT do a complete re-install of my Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gesh! i dint wanthe new PRO anyways. this solves alot of my issues. I thouht I was nuts. Wasted a couple hrs in this and other trite wiht the NEW! thanks, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this unchecked and it is still happening, so frustrating!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do this on a Macbook Pro runninng IOS 12.3?  it's driving me crazy. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option is no longer on the menu on the latest version that appears web-based. I hate this version!  Want to go back to previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it:

Click the 3 horizontal lines button at top left

-> Disable new Acrobat Reader

-> Restart

-> Edit>Preferences>General

-> Uncheck the option "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires relaunch)"

-> Restart

-> Like this comment, enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, i hated new Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you!!! This is a lifesaver! The new Adobe was HORRIBLE lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, the new version wass driving me insane with no option to open in new windows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I'm not worthy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way (thank you sooooo much!).  I don't know what Adobe was thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This is the most helpful info I found and all in one click!  You're awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many thanks! very frustrating. i wonder which developers at adobe sit at the meeting table and say, "let's put this in as a feature, people will love it"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the 3 horizontal line option Мартин2861777268yg! Whew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me mad. I have checked the box, exited and restarted the application countless times and still it reverts to the default of separate tabs. Why can I not get this to work properly? Is there a tab that requires "save changes" somehwere that I am not seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same frustration.  After disabling the new Acrobat, I can uncheck the box "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires relaunch)" but the setting will not save.  Very irritating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe Acrobat Standard 2023 on Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After unchecking the box, scroll all the way down to the bottom and click OK.  It's a huge window and on my screen, the bottom was cut off so I couldn't see the OK button at first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines