• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open pdf's in separate windows? [2016] [Locked]

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note from moderator: this post is from 2016 and things have changed. If you have a

question about the current version, please start a new post. This post is now locked.

Two answers are marked Correct. One is how to disable the "New Experience" and the other is

from 2016 and tells you how to disable tabs and see the PDFs in separate windows.

Separate Windows are not available (yet) in the New Experience. The first step is to disable it.

When I open different pdf's I want them to open in separate windows.

It is possible to manually separate the different documents after opening them by dragging the tabs.

But it doesn't seem to be possible to set as default that the files open in separate windows.

How do I do that?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Go to preferences (Edit>Preferences - on Windows), or faster is control-K (cmd-K on Mac).  Select the General category on the left, and look for the setting labelled 'Open documents as new tabs in the same window', and UNCHECK this.  You will need to restart Acrobat for this to take effect.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

On the newest version (May 2023), you have to first select "Disable New Acrobat" from the upper left hamburger menu first before the option to  "Open documents as new tabs in the same window" will appear. To make that option visible, you have to first "Disable New Acrobat"

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Hi All,

I hope you all are doing well. 

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as 'open cross-

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work with new version.

Katherine33145422dbst_0-1698184106690.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple, by open them on Google Chrome.

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, between this and the vanished scroll bars...I'm trying to understand why anyone thought this would be a good idea. I have just spent 45 minutes trying to troubleshoot this misery. WE PAY FOR THIS SOFTWARE, every month, bc why should you be able to actually own something you pay for?? lol.

So we're paying Adobe to make it unusable, and waste our time trying to make it work again? I don't think that's the agreement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open PDF in New Window Instead of Tab 2024
https://youtu.be/wQPkieFCPqM

In this step-by-step tutorial, Learn How To Open PDF in New Window Instead of Tab 2024 | ​How to Open Files in Separate Windows This video is for teaching and helping purposes, My goal is to help you save time so you can spend it on the activities that matter. If you like the video, then please ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat 2023 ("New Acrobat" needs the option to open each document in a new window, without disabling New Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe did say they were going to change this and allow the customer to have the choice, but it sounds now they changed their minds. They clearly wanted to force us to have all documents in the same window.  Their answer, now, appears to be, "get used to it"; we will not make it easy to look at two documents at the same time. Adobe has spoken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, you can open the PDF files with Google Chrome. Certainly, Chrome allows
you to open files in multiple windows separately to compare between them.
In the meantime, Adobe like any other aging company, they are AGING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open PDF in New Window Instead of Tab 2024
https://youtu.be/wQPkieFCPqM

In this step-by-step tutorial, Learn How To Open PDF in New Window Instead of Tab 2024 | ​How to Open Files in Separate Windows This video is for teaching and helping purposes, My goal is to help you save time so you can spend it on the activities that matter. If you like the video, then please ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @PositiveEnergy1 - looking for a way to do this without disabling New Acrobat and its new features and UI. The video you link to requires using Preferences to roll back to a previous version, which is not acceptable for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to View>Disable new acrobat>then the option reappears in Preferences>General.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(easier than watching the video.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @NudeCruzer .  Specifically, looking for a way to do this without disabling New Acrobat and its new features and UI. The instructions you provided require rolling back to a previous (non-new-Acrobat) version, which is not acceptable for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had nothing but problems when i disabled the new acrobat. I had nothing but errors and acrobat became useless. I had to have IT reinstall the new version. I open the files i need and then click on the Tabs and drag them over so it creates another session/window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, I hadn't heard of anyone having problems selecting the option "Disable new Acrobat"  under the View menu. I would completely delete Acrobat. Reinstall and then select "disable new Acrobat" again. In addition, it sounds like, you are also saying that the option under the view menu to "enable New Acrobat" didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag the document out of the window creating a new window, otherwise Adobe does not want to allow people to open documents in new windows automatically. My previous post was just to provide a shortcut, rather than watching a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NudeCruzerThank you for your thoughful replies.

This is directed at Adobe, not you, but: Having to disable new Acrobat to achieve basic functionality like opening documents in new windows is unacceptable. A user may have specific workflows that are severely hampered by the tabs-in-one-window restriction. As @Deborah24300670tcgk mentioned, we the users pay for this software and should be able to retain basic control over its operation, such as this feature, without hassle or problematic workarounds as the described experience of @Michael29892720xy78 indicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Adobe has simply decided to not allow one to open documents in new windows. I assume, eventually, we won't even be able to go back to the old version, creative cloud will force the issue. And permanently, you will never be able to view two PDF files side-by-side.
Eventually, there will be a new open source format file type similar to PDF. That will replace the PDF and there will be more options for software that will work with these.  Adobe is making people crave other options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Up until today 1/8/2024 I have always been able to drag an adobe reader tab so I can view side by side. All of a sudden, today, I cannot. I hate this. You develop a process to be efficent in your work each day and like giants controlling their lives they decide for you what you ought to be doing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines