• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to populate a different dropdown list based on selection of a value in the first dropdown field?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am trying to make a selection from one drop-down list (Service) that populates different items in the second drop-down list (Units of measure).

I found another similar question in the community but when I use the code (I am not a coder) I keep getting the following error- syntaxError: unterminated string literal 4: at line 5.

Here is the code:

if(event.value == "Storage")
this.getField("Unit of measure 2.0.12.1").setItems(["Per Standard* Pallet","Per Non-Standard Pallet","Per Bin","Per Square Foot"]);
else if(event.value == "IN Handling")
this.getField("Unit of measure 2.0.12.1").setItems(["Per Pallet 'IN'","Per Carton 'IN'","]);
else this.getField("Unit of measure 2.0.12.1").clearItems();

if(event.value == "Item1")
this.getField("Dropdown2").setItems(["Item 1","Item 2","Item 3"]);
else if(event.value == "Item2")
this.getField("Dropdown2").setItems(["Item 4","Item 5","Item 6"]);
else this.getField("Dropdown2").clearItems();

This is not the complete drop-down as I wanted to try it first. Also, I am guessing this would go in the first dropdown field? I would really appreciate some help! 

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

You have an extra quotation mark, remove red part:

this.getField("Unit of measure 2.0.12.1").setItems(["Per Pallet 'IN'","Per Carton 'IN'","]);

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the error message says, you have an unterminated string in your code, specifically in the last item in the array in this line:

And yes, this code should be used as the custom validation script of the first drop-down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for offering your help.

I guess I am asking how to fix this? How do I terminate it? What is the code I need to make it work? I don't see any open square parenthesis. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have an extra quotation mark, remove red part:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I've been staring at this forever trying to figure out where I went wrong. I am so relieved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines