• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save validated signature? Every time I open, it prompts to validate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this happen multiple times and can't seem to solve.  I'm new to this digital signature/certificates but have watched some training videos.  But I don't understand what's happening.  

Scenario: 

I have the Public Key file for another person on my computer. 

I have my key file for myself on the computer.

The 2nd person digitally signs the PDF, saves to a new name and sends back to me. 

I open the file and get a message to validate the signature.  I do that.  

I sign and validate mine.  I save to a new name and close.

When I reopen, I get the message that a signature needs to be validated again.  

Any thoughts?  Am expecting this to work in a manner that it doesn't? 

Thanks!

Lynn

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts?  Am expecting this to work in a manner that it doesn't?

Validating a PDF signature does not change the PDF itself, the validation state is not stored with the file.

Thus, every time you re-open the file, the PDF viewer considers the signature as not yet validated.

Depending on the Acrobat settings, it tries automatically to validate the signature upon loading.

This does not always work, though, so even if you configure Acrobat to automatically validate on load, you may see a message that a signature requires validation. (I'm not sure what causes this. I assume that lengthy on-load JavaScript in the PDF might be one reason but there may also be others.)

What you can do after a PDF signature is validated, is adding the validation related information - the data downloaded during validation - to the PDF. When opening a signed PDF with embedded validation related information, Acrobat still needs to validate the signature, but it may be faster than without the embedded information. Even more important, this embedded information often is required for validation after the validity interval of the involved certificates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, thank you for that insight.  

Being new to signatures and all though, can you give me a little more direction on "adding the validation related information - the data downloaded during validation - to the PDF.". 

For our situation, what we need is really just the visible signature and date to know that our documents have been reviewed.  So it may be that I can just turn off the validation part so that people aren't prompted all the time. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if everything was ok, Acrobat would not prompt for verification, it would simply verify.

When opening the Signature Verification Preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> Signatures -> Verification More...), do you have these setting values:

MikelKlink_0-1659363544044.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do.  Interestingly enough, the 'verify signatures when document is opened' is not checked.  ??

I also looked closely at the signature that it says isn't valid, here's the screen: 

Lynn24687542rv5k_0-1659365242676.png

So I validate it...here's the screen: 

Lynn24687542rv5k_1-1659365305532.png

This is also the person whom I have the public key for on my computer.  

When I close this file and reopen, I'll go through the same loop again.  But doesn't that confirm what you said at the beginning, that the verification information isn't stored in the PDF?  I'll just continually be in this loop?  That's what I'm trying to avoid. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do.  Interestingly enough, the 'verify signatures when document is opened' is not checked.  ??

Have you tried setting that option? Does the behavior with that option checked please you more?

I also looked closely at the signature that it says isn't valid, here's the screen: 

Lynn24687542rv5k_0-1659365242676.png

Beware, it does not say the signature is "not valid", it merely says it's "not yet verified".

When I close this file and reopen, I'll go through the same loop again.  But doesn't that confirm what you said at the beginning, that the verification information isn't stored in the PDF?  I'll just continually be in this loop?  That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Indeed, the verification result is not stored in the PDF, so after opening the PDF the signature will not yet be verified. But if you selected "Verify signatures when the document is opened", Adobe Acrobat would immediately attempt to verify without you having to do anything. Would that improve the use case for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wasn't looking at 'validated' vs 'verified'.  And yes, once I checked the setting, this works much better!  I receive the 'signed and valid' message.  This will work.  Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines