Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set Auto Portrait/Landscape as default

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

My organization uses Adobe Reader 10.1.2. I am trying to figure out how to set up Adobe Reader to automatically select "Auto portrait/landscape" option in the printing screen when an item is printed from within Adobe Reader.

As of now, when I go to Print a file, it automatically selects "Portrait" (or whatever the default orientation is for the default printer).  I would like for "Auto portrait/landscape" to come up as the default selected option when printing.

Can anyone help with this? Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Hi ngtcpa

Please let me explain the standard behaviour of Acrobat:

1. Acrobat reads whatever is the default of your printer during start-up. If you want an other default, change it with your printers settings.
  2. Acrobat keeps the settings you entered until Acrobat is closed or the settings are changed by yourself.

If your system behaves differently, eg by changing the default printer etc, that may be "features" of your OS, but those are certainly not caused by Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the properties of your printer driver under Start>Printers? Typically the properties are set in the driver and not in the software using the driver as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help me out with this. To answer your question, yes I have checked the properties of my printer driver. The default printer is set to Portrait. When I try to print through Adobe Reader, the printing is automatically set to Portrait. which makes sense, except that I want it to be set to Auto Portrait/Landscape.

On some computers, Adobe Reader printing window is set to Auto Portrait/Landscape by default, so I know it can be done, but on others it is set to Portrait (the default option of the default printer). I am trying to find out why some computers are set to the Auto Portrait/Landscape option by default when printing in Adobe, while others are set to the default printer option.

All computers have Portrait as default in their default printer properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I messed up when replying. I thought you were talking about Acrobat, the purpose of this forum. You are using Reader and other printers. I am not sure my answer is of any use. Sorry. You could try the Reader forum, but don't expect any answer there either. The problem relates to your printier directly and I have no played around with that enough to give a good answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, except I want mine to default to portrait.  It does not stick!  EXTREMEL;Y FRUSTRATING. We use to be able to set it once and forget about it.  Now I have to remember to change it from auto to portrait every time I print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ngtcpa

Please let me explain the standard behaviour of Acrobat:

1. Acrobat reads whatever is the default of your printer during start-up. If you want an other default, change it with your printers settings.
  2. Acrobat keeps the settings you entered until Acrobat is closed or the settings are changed by yourself.

If your system behaves differently, eg by changing the default printer etc, that may be "features" of your OS, but those are certainly not caused by Acrobat.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please help me as I am having the same problem.  I used to be able to print a bunch of PDFs quickly as it printed portrait by defult. This has changed a week or so ago and now I need to manually change the setting to portrait every time I print which is extremely frustrating.  How can I change it back to how it was?  I cannot find a way.  I have checked and my printer is certainly set on portrait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They stink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have trouble with the portrait/landscape issue EXCEPT when I print in Adobe. I fsomeone has a different anser. Please let ,me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
AkanchhaS â€¢ Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2019

"Acrobat's preferences settings doesn't allow to change the default print orientation.

However, you can try the following steps to set the "Auto portrait/landscape" as the default option while printing any PDF.

• Open a PDF and click on Print icon.
  • In the Print dialogue box, select 'Auto portrait/landscape'.
  • Click on Print tab at the bottom left to print the file.
  • Now next time you print the file, the option Auto portrait/landscape will be selected by default."

Print horizontal or vertical pages using Acrobat or Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines