• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to sharpen a faint document?

Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any way to sharpen a faint pdf document using Adobe 9? (I will be content if I can only get a sharp printing but not document.)

I can upload some of these documents if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Since it's only a scan, there's not a lot Acrobat will do to help.

You would want to use Adobe Photoshop and possibly adjust curves and levels there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to upload one since we have no idea how it was created or what the actual problem is.

Also, what version of Acrobat are you using? Do you have any other Adobe applications (such as Photoshop?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok here's an example:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's only a scan, there's not a lot Acrobat will do to help.

You would want to use Adobe Photoshop and possibly adjust curves and levels there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

I don't know using Photoshop. Is it suitable for mass editing (100+pages)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issues with each document is similar, You can create an action and run that in batch mode yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted some of the pages into jpeg and lowered brightness it somewhat helps..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using Photoshop you'll probably get much better advice in the PS forum but personally, I don't use the brightness. I use Levels and curves. It won't dull or wash out the entire image like brightness.

Also, don't save as a .jpg while you are working on the document. In Photoshop, you can leave it as a PDF or save it as a PSD. .jpg uses lossy compression. Every time you save your .jpg it degrades the image. Kind of like making a photocopy of a photocopy.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm routinely faced with this problem as I convert century old literature into PDF.     I have no idea if there is a standard fix, but what I do is extract the offending PDF page, then while it is still in memory, I 'save as' a JPG, with 'maximum' quality and 600 or 1200dpi selected.    Then open the resulting JPG in my favorite graphics editor and tinker with brightness/contrast to dramatically improve upon the image.    Then save it and insert the repaired image back into the PDF document.     Not quick, although relatively easy, provides an improvement the hard way.      If somebody else has a better way, let us all know.

Regards,

Terry Smythe

Winnipeg, Canada

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Terry Smythe wrote

I'm routinely faced with this problem as I convert century old literature into PDF.     I have no idea if there is a standard fix, but what I do is extract the offending PDF page, then while it is still in memory, I 'save as' a JPG, with 'maximum' quality and 600 or 1200dpi selected.    Then open the resulting JPG in my favorite graphics editor and tinker with brightness/contrast to dramatically improve upon the image.    Then save it and insert the repaired image back into the PDF document.     Not quick, although relatively easy, provides an improvement the hard way.      If somebody else has a better way, let us all know.

Regards,

Terry Smythe

Winnipeg, Canada

Contrast may help yes.

Again, stay away from .jpg for your working files. Save it as a .jpg (or PDF or whatever) as a last step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the same example, now with 2 pages, the original, and the fixed page as a comparison.    Tooks about 5 minutes to do the fix for this single page.

Something to consider.

Regards,

Terry Smythe

Winnipeg, Canada

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines