Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to smooth scroll with Acrobat DC

Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to set Acrobat Reader DC to scroll smoothly through a PDF document when viewing it?  Whenever I scroll through any PDF using the arrow key, when moving to a new page, the doc jumps around a lot, causing me to have to constantly use the scroll bar to reposition the page back to the beginning.  This disrupts the reading experience.  I have already tried View > Page Display > Enable Scrolling, but this has no effect on the issue.  I am using Windows 8.1 laptop. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

upload(3).png

Enable this. For me works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi paulsenduser,

Open Acrobat Reader DC, navigate to Help menu & repair the installation.

Relaunch Acrobat Reader DC & Enable Scrolling, now try to replicate the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took me a while to get back to you.

I tried what you suggested, but it did not have any affect.  There is no way to simply scroll up and down smoothly from page to page like you can in MS Word.  This jumping around is really disruptive to the experience.  Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured out what the problem was.  I have been keeping the select tool activated at all times because I do a lot of cutting and pasting.  Once I switched back to the hand tool as the default, everything is scrolling along just fine.

Not sure why the select tool is engineered to scroll differently, but there it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulsenduser

I had the same problem and either your method didn't help, BUT i did find a fix.

Here is the fix

MAC

ADOBE ACROBAT > Preferences > Accessibility > Always use Page Layout Style > Single Page Continuous

PC

Edit > Preferences > Accessibility > Always use Page Layout Style > Single Page Continuous

Now its smooth as butter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!

I hate these programmers who continue to make programs more and more complicated and make them do things they think we want.  Ugh.  Hate it.  I wish they all would just go home, collect unemployment for a little while and stop "improving" things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy Tiger_words... as a programmer, it's not us.  We are told what to do by Marketing and Sales.    So blame those guys not use developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well geez, I'm sorry. I never realized that. I don't work in the industry so I didn't understand that sales people are driving that sort of thing.

Please tell them they suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now if you can help me reset Adobe so I can just save something, rather than save as with 3 extra clicks - something in security but an update reset it and I can't get it back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp, Adobe has f-ed up something else.  Tell the salespeople to stop with the "improvements" since the programmers don't have the fortitude to resist their demands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@netstv The recent update of Adobe was so bad there's now a button to restore the original view.  It's incredible that this sort of thing happens (regardless of who is to blame).  Somewhere between marketing and sales and programming, the end user is forgotten.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy smokes!  Commenting on things that are almost 6 years old.  Time to find another forum dude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact there is another forum, but since you're not on it, I figured I'd let you know.  I am sorry if you think this violates some internet protocal but others have also commented recently so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so so much for this. I was planning to find a time to systematically go through all the preference panes (I mean, really? That many?) to sort this out, now I'm free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Just what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat--like almost all of Adobe products--has graduated to the status of bloatware. Lots of confusing features that few understand but everyone has to pay for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you - i have been stuggling with this for ages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

However, disabling new acrobat reader worked much better on my mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Switching from the select tool to hte hand tool worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Even I was facing the same problem. The scrolling experience is much better now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The app should not need to be repaired, unless the below setting still doesn’t work properly.  

Set it to "Fit to Width Scrolling" on the toolbar icon to the right of the zoom % dropdown, then pick a page size in the zoom % drpdown that you prefer. It will glide right down without breaking from page to page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upload(3).png

Enable this. For me works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red highlighted rectanlge Click on  it and click on .....Fit to Width scrolling. It worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind answer. You saved a lot of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! My first question here and I believe here it where it fits best.

I am doing some split-screen editing on my MacBook Air.

On the right I have a pdf open via Adobe DC.

On the left I have an OpenOffice file.

The scrolling is working well, but here is the catch:

If I have my zoom on the PDF at 75%, it scrolls great 

and I have zero right to left motion inside the view, as at 75% the margins are fully fitting.

However I cannot see the text itself, or well, it is quite small.

My optimal zoom is 84%, which in split view on my mac allows me to see the exact width of the TEXT in the PDF itself.

However, and this is what I am trying to "Lock"  in that I get right to left motion within the PDF, as it thinks that I would really like to "see" what I have done on the margins, however in my case I have no use of looking at the margins. Needless to say, the side to side motion within the PDF is really tirying my eyes.

Does anyone know how to "lock" right to left motion.  If you need a clarification let me know.

As a side note, I am having the same problem in split screen view with the OpenOffice file on the left, but that is a question for another forum.

Thank you everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines