hyperlinks from MS Word not working in PDF

Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have created a MS Word document that i have converted into a pdf.

the hyperlinks in the images link to the bookmarks against headings 1 and 2 in the following pages.

However, when i convert my MS Word document into a PDf, the images are not linked, and i don't see a hand icon when i mouse over the images.

Capture.PNG

I wld appreciate if someone can provide some insight into this.

Regards

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Hi all,

I was having the same issue and here is what I found:

Before attempting to convert the document from Word to PDF, look to see if it says "compatibility mode" at the top of the Word window. Mine did, even though it was already a .docx file. If it does, there will be a "convert document" option under the FILE menu (which disappears after you choose this option). Choose that. It will convert to the most recent file version. After I did that, I was able to successfully save the file as PDF wit

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you "Print to PDF", whether that's to the Adobe Acrobat Printer or some other manufacturer's virtual printer,  you'll loose most, if not all, of your interactive features like functioning hyperlinks. So it's not the best method to use.

File / Save As / PDF  uses a Microsoft converter that is built into MS Word. It is not an Adobe product. But you can control some of the properties in the final PDF by selecting the Standard (publishing online and printing) option before saving the files. This gives sufficient resolution of graphics for office printing (but not commercial printing presses).

Export to PDF with MS converter.Export to PDF with MS converter.

To get a high-resolution PDF that also has full interactive functions, you'll need to use Adobe's PDF Maker plug-in, which is installed in MS Word when Acrobat Pro or Standard is installed.

If PDF Maker is installed, you'll have a Ribbon tab in Word labeled Acrobat. On the ribbon, select the Preferences icon to control how the PDF is made, including resolution.

Acrobat-Ribbon_03.png

Start by selecting one of the pre-sets from Conversion Settings drop-down menu, you'll have more control over color, image resolution, fonts, and more. Consider Press Quality, or PDF/X-3 for better quality at commerical print shops. And check the option to Add Links.

Export-via-PDFmaker_01.png

If you need even more control, click the Advanced Settings button, which takes you to the custom settings dialogue section. Change whatever you need to change, such as the resolution settings for graphics shown below.

When done, you'll need to Save the settings, and they will then be available from the first drop-down menu for future use. Very handy if you do this regularly.

Export-via-PDFmaker_02.png

Hope this helps.

Bevi Chagnon | PubCom | Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
| Books & Classes | Accessible InDesign | Accessible PDFs | Accessible MS Office |

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I do have the PDF Maker installed but I get the same problem when using "Create PDF" instead of printing with the printer "Adobe PDF". However, it works if I first click "options" in the PDF file saving dialog (no changes made in the options).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi, these settings are for windows. I'm unable to locate the same settings on Mac version of the acrobat pdf writer in Word. I'm encountering the following issues and have spent many hours trying to resolve them but cannot seem to get every issues resolved in the same document at once

--missing hyperlinks

--transparency in design elements disappears (becoming flat/no longer transparent)

--image quality is fine but file size it outrageous

--file size is reasonable but image quality is horrible

--being forced to choose an online generator which is a privacy issue and causes graphics to shift out of place in the process 

I'm very experienced with both Word and Acrobat and I'm honestly shocked at how difficult this is. I've been googling for hours and have tried several workarounds. As another person commented I'm too old enough to remember having to use ps files to eventually get to PDFs and it was much easier than this seems to be. Please advise! Thank you. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What solved the issue of Word non-working underlying links in PDFs for me: 

File > Save as > Browse > [select target dir] [Save as type: PDF] > Save 

"Print" apparently is, regardless, for a paper printer and therefore links are deemed not required and aren't active unless they are spelt out …

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that fixed the links - thanks. However, there is no option of saving images without downsampling them so I can't use this method. Anyway, I solved the problem (see previous post) but I don't understand why it was solved.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello<top> 

No

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you MarkAH: you are a life saver.

Sigh: I'm old enough to remember when Acrobat Reader just worked.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A coworker shared this today as it's an ongoing issue with a coworker on a PC

Based on that Adobe article, it looks like it is a known issue with Microsoft Word having been updated.  It would explain why some people are able to export successfully and some are not.

Windows runs updates to Word (Office suite) as part of Windows update if it is enabled. (Do you know how to check if windows update is set to auto update?)

An article I found with a solution was to downgrade your MS Word software and make sure that automatic updates are disabled. (You will want to re-enable them in the future to make sure your software is kept secure.)

Here is a link to the forum article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/cross-references-and-toc-in-word-do-not-work-...

In the Answer, he links to the instructions to downgrade/rollback Word but Ill put it here too: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a91...

ERROR in MAC or PC

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/44270718-errors-...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case anyone stumbles on this thread in anguish (as I just did). Tried many of the suggestions above, but only thing to works was another workaround - use Pages! Basically, open the Word file in Pages and go to "File > Print". Then choose "PDF > Save as PDF" from the print dialogue. Bingo!

Details here: https://www.macworld.com/article/181738/embedpdflink.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines