• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there the ability to have a PDF signable in-browser without a specific recipient?

Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I want to make a PDF signable and I want to host the PDF file on my website for clients to sign. It's a client agreement, but I want it signable at any time by any person, not one at a time by a specific person. Is it possible to do this with Acrobat WITHOUT needing the person to use Acrobat, be it mobile or desktop?

I know that I can create a signable PDF with the old non-Request Signatures way, but if someone goes to download it on a desktop, they will have the PDF opened by their browser by default and you can't sign PDFs within a browser by just accessing the PDF, at least without a browser add-on. The way that the new Request Signatures option does it, is that Adobe hosts the PDF and uses a special browser-flow that allows signers to sign it within the browser without opening the PDF directly.

The problem is, that I can't seem to find an option to have a PDF signed by anyone who isn't a specific recipient. I also can't just set the PDF to allow anyone to sign and then just distribute the URL, because once it is signed then the document is no longer signable by anyone else.

I don't want to have to direct users to open the PDF with a program that they might not have installed, or direct them to install a 3rd party browser extension to enable signing.

So is there a way to do this with Acrobat? Or should I just go looking for a different eSignature service to fulfill this need?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , PDF forms , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

You must employ Adobe Sign, but the features that you're inquiring about are not present with the individual plan that is shipped with Adobe Acrobat.

You may need to upgrade to  Adobe Sign for Teams or a business plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must employ Adobe Sign, but the features that you're inquiring about are not present with the individual plan that is shipped with Adobe Acrobat.

You may need to upgrade to  Adobe Sign for Teams or a business plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! Adobe Sign does indeed seem to be the correct Adobe solution 😊 I gave them a call and got a quote. It's a bit pricey but it does at least do what we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you make the signature fields as simple lines or form fields, it doesn't require the recipient jumping thru hoops.

"Adobe Reader" or the Acrobat browser extensions published by Adobe has the 'Fill & Sign' tool that allows the user to sign by:

• typing in a cursive font
  • or select a pre-saved scanned image of their signature
  • or use a pen or finger (touch screen, tablet, pen compatible devices, of course). 

Any other PDF reading program (Chrome's built-in PDF reader, for example) that has basic capability for filling regular form fields will allow them to sign this way, because you've just inserted a regular form field and labeled it 'signature'.  What you receive back from the user will be no different than if the recipient printed the PDF, signed it with a pen, and rescanned it to send back to you.                       

What you lose out on not using Adobe Sign is Acrobat vouching for the document originating from you and vouching for persons who are signing, and any auditing/tracking of accesses to the document and with storage of the signature and signed document residing on the third party website (Adobe's document cloud). This  requires the recipient to create an Adobe account and generates aslew of emails.                               

It depends whether your company requires the DIGITAL signature and document assurance for your contract to be legally binding, or whether paper/pen or simple ELECTRONIC signature is sufficient.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines