Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Javascript: Validation Error

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for reading. 

I wrote a validation script for a dropdown field. If user selects x or y, an app alert asks for confirmation. If user selects no, I want the field to revert to y. But I'm receiving an: InvalidSetError: Set not possible, invalid or unknown specifically regarding the line that reverts the field value to y. I've tried referencing the export value of that dropdown option. still no luck. 

What am I doing wrong?

if (event.value !== "X" && event.value !== "Y") {
    var response = app.alert({
        cMsg: "Please confirm:...",
        nIcon: 3,
        nType: 2,
        cTitle: "selection",
        arrButton: ["Yes", "No"]
    });
    if (response === 4) {
      Additional.display = display.visible;

}
else if (response === 3) {
app.alert("Please enter your Y")
field.value = "Y";
   Additional.display = display.hidden;
}}
TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use event.value = "Y";

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

event.value = "Y" was my first thought too. Then, I don't receive a set error, but the field value remains what the user originally selected. It does not change to Y when the user selects No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added console.println("event.value: " + event.value); to the else if block. When the user selects No, the console prints: event.value = Y. However, the field does not display Y. It displays the users original selection. 

Please. What? Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the dropdown set to commit the value immediately?  If not, the value won't change until the focus changes to a different field. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed, I've tried with it set or unset. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in field related events (such as calculate, validate, and format), event.value is always the new proposed value of the field. Never use the field object directly to get or set a field value when inside one of these events, "event.value" is the only way to get or set the field value. 

Please post your form, or even better, a sample form with just this functionality on it and we'll be able to tell you what's wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are "Additional" and "field" in your script. These variables are undefined in the code, and will throw errors. 

The invalid set error means that the set value is not one of the items in the dropdown.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional and field in the code above represent variables declared elsewhere( var titleAdditional = this.getField("titleAdditional");) For brevity, I have here replaced mulitple such 'field display' codes. But I have verified the error lies not within.

As I mentioned to Bernd, I added onsole.println("event.value: " + event.value) to the else if block, which is correctly returning "Y" when the user selects No in the app.alert. In other words, the value of the field is returning as "Y" while the field still displays the users original response. 

Additionally, the Y response is surely a listed option in the dropdown menu. I've also tried turning off the field property checkbox "Commit selected value immediately". But this only delays the app.alert until the field is 'blurred' and has no effect on the value displayed within by the script. 

I'll reiterate in case it's important:

the script is in the dropdown's custom validation.

Also, is the set error being triggered because line 1 includes the condition "...event.value !== "Y"", while the else if block is trying to make the field = "Y"? I'm grasping at straws...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it possible that "event" is not referring to the original field event, that it is instead referring to the users response to the app alert? 

i edited the else if block to include 

console.println("event.value: " + event.value + " fieldName.value: " + fieldName.value);

the console prints "event.value: Y fieldName.value: usersOriginalSelection"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I replace "event.value = "Y"" with "fieldName.value = "Y"", I get the set error for that line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your full code. If we don't know what all the variables refer to we can't help you debug your issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the file. 

If user selects a Province other than Alberta, and then selects No from the app alert, the bug occurs: Field.value:28:Field Province:Validate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use event.value in this context, not this.getField("...").value .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To restate, Use event.value to set Provice field value. Never set the value of  Provice field directly when running from inside the Validate event. For your script, this means don't use the "province" variable . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I state in my comment to Bernd and in subsequent comments: my original script had event.value to set the province field. It fails. It returns the set error in this context. That is the problem. I'd be delighted if the answer were as simple as this.

If I replace with event.value = "Alberta" in the else if block, the field value does not change. See the console print out here: 

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 8.09.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because you're misusing the Validation event. It's not meant for overwriting the user's selected value. You can accept it or reject it, but not overwrite it with something else. That can be done with text fields, but not with drop-downs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As try67 says, changing the value of a dropdown won't work inside the Validate event on that dropdown field.

You'll need to use the "uncommitted keystroke" and the "event.change" property. 

Remove the validate script and just try this code in the Custom Keystroke:

if(!event.willCommit){
	if (event.change !== "Province" && event.change !== "Alberta") {
		event.change = "Alberta";
        }
}

A key lesson here is to figure out how things work first, with simple tests. You started off with too much complicated code before even knowing if the basic idea would work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines