• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC causes it to update the Windows "created" and "modified" dates

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro DC seems to update the Windows "created" and "modified" dates to the current day and time even when I just open the PDF file for viewing, and did nothing to change or save the file! The metadata inside of the PDF file is still unchanged and intact, but that is not good enough. I want to be able to use Windows File Explorer to sort files based on correct creatin and modification dates.

In my "Preferences" in Acrobat, I have unchecked "Automatically save document changes to temporary file every: 5 minutes", so it should not be auto-saving. Is there some other preference I should "turn off" to stop Acrobat from changing Windows mod/create dates?

I'm using Acrobat Pro DC Version 2022.001.20117 on Windows 11. Thanks for any suggestions!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Hi Jimh

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

It seems to be some issue with Win 11, please check for any pending/missing updates and try updating Win 11 and see if that works.

The Modified and created date of the PDF file can be checked as follows:

• Open PDF file in Acrobat/Reader DC
  • Go to File menu > Properties > Under Description tab check the modified and created date

Untitled.png

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Hi Annie,

As noted above, I didn't really solve the problem, but my workaround was to change the settings in Google Drive to Mirror Files instead of Stream Files.

-jim

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jimh

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

It seems to be some issue with Win 11, please check for any pending/missing updates and try updating Win 11 and see if that works.

The Modified and created date of the PDF file can be checked as follows:

• Open PDF file in Acrobat/Reader DC
  • Go to File menu > Properties > Under Description tab check the modified and created date

Untitled.png

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amal. I was already completely up to date on Windows11, so that wasn't the issue. However, you got me thinking about whether this behavior was really the fault of Acrobat, and the answer is NO, it isn't! The mod/create dates don't change when using Acrobat if the file is stored on my local disk, or in a Dropbox folder, or in a OneDrive folder, but the dates do change whenever I access a PDF stored in a Google Drive folder! By the way, the same issue happens with viewing an Excel file using MS Excel, so the problem seems to be with Google Drive, not with Acrobat or Excel. I'll keep investigating in that direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jimh,

Did you ever solve this issue with Google Drive changing the modified date when opening a pdf?  I'm having the same exact issue.

Thanks,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

I ended up thinking this is not an Acrobat issue at all, but a Google Drive issue, because the work around that I found was to change Google Drive settings to Mirror Files instead of Stream Files.

I didn't push any farther on the issue, so maybe there is another solution out there.

-jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I am having the same issue with Google drive, can you please advise how you resolved the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Annie,

As noted above, I didn't really solve the problem, but my workaround was to change the settings in Google Drive to Mirror Files instead of Stream Files.

-jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines