Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lock a certain field in fillable PDF, the rest of the fields unlocked/fillable

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe experts,

I have forms in PDF file format that I have to send out through email. Before I send a form out, I need to indicate a control number so that I can monitor movement of the forms. Control number is with format YYYY-MM-XXX (YYYY and MM being the year and month when the form is issued, and XXX is a sequential number from 001 to 999).

I have already made the control number field a text field/fillable field, but I need the field to be not editable when I send it out. What options do I have so I can lock that certain field after assigning a control number, without using Acrobat everytime to assign a control number before I send out the PDF file? Is there a way to password protect that specific field?

Using Adobe Reader XI,  I can add a text using the Signature feature, but this text can be removed in the file.

I am currently checking JavaScript so that the document can automatically assign a control number with that format. My problem for this is that once the document opens to the recipient, the control number may change. Would love to know your insights regarding this.

Thanks,

Kenneth

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the field as read-only in Acrobat before sending out the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67,

Thank you for your reply. Aside from setting it in Acrobat, would you know if there are any options?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean... What kind of options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67,

Options re: making the field not editable. Yes, I can use Adobe Acrobat for that, but I am checking if there are ways without using Acrobat every time I need to send out a form.

I stumbled upon a possible solution using a different search term in Adobe Forums: https://forums.adobe.com/message/3313929#3313929. Will revert once tried.

Thanks,

Kenneth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth,

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am working on something similar and am really getting annoyed with having to open Acrobat to lock the field before I can send it out. Any tips or insight you can provide is much appreciated!

Thank you,

Sarina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarina and Kenneth,

I have this same need for my pdf.  Did you happen to find a resolution?

Thanks!

Brenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did anyone figure this out yet? locking after signature is obviously not a secure or good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines