• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mail.app wants to sign using key "privatekey" in your keychain

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to sign a document using the sign/signature tool but for whatever reason, I ended creating a digital signature by mistake now I can't send the email without attaching a private key. I needed to remove this ASAP. 

Adobe Reader doesn't allow me to remove the certificate. i.e clicking on the "Remove Id" does nothing.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 11.31.47.png

SOLUTION:

1. Open Keychain on your mac "search 'keychain' in Spotlight (The magnifying glass icon on the top right of your screen) or Go to >Applications>Utilities>Keychain.app

2. Find the culprit certificate in the list

3. Take a back of the key in case something goes wrong by exporting the certificate.

4. >>> Delete

5. Restart the Mail app and also the Adobe Reader app.

Sorted 🙂

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Go to "my certificates' and delete them all and then send mail you should be allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"find the culprit certificate in the list"

uh, sure, that won't take long. i'm canceling my acrobat pro subscription after this. 30 minutes of my workday already i didn't want to spend effing around with this and problem not solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the problem is actually not that tricky to understand.  This might sound a bit like flames towards Adobe, but I assure you, it's not just them. There's so many moving parts in developing a propriety system of creating documents.  It's a wonder any of it works!  So, here it is:

Adobe creates a public key and a private key for your document.  It then ecrypts it using those keys.

But who else has those keys???  Well, if you don't send the keys with the attachment, mail won't be able to encrypt it.  Thus, the issue is with the keychain and mail not sending that public key with each new email.  ONLY the email with the encrypted pdf has the keys attached.

It's implemented poorly.  Adobe Acrobat should be completly in charge of encrypting and decrypting the message.  NOT mail. It's a poor design that interferes with the way that Apple Mail works.  

Making things worse, if you look on Apple's Support page, they point at Adobe. If you look on Adobe's site, they point at Apple.  The truth is, Adobe made a system that works for the ONE DOCUMENT THAT YOU WANT TO SEND and no others.  Apple's mail system has the ability to encrypt using keys, but not when it's intended for ONLY one recipient.

IMO, both parties are to blame.  Apple already encrypts messages sent from mail and shouldn't allow 3rd parties to create and implement their own methods of encryption in Mail. Adobe is kinda shortsighted for using an encryption method that HARDCORE interferes with a Mail program that A LOT of people use. I'm sure it's a bug that's so far down the list of things to fix, that Adobe hasn't looked at it in YEARS.  ...OR... and this is probably more likely, they hired someone not versed in the Apple Ecosystem to set up an encryption scheme in Acrobat, figured out how to implement it using the keychain, was able to prove that it works, and then the contract to code it was fulfilled. The coder was probably paid on fivr, and sucked at keeping documentation so no one at Adobe has any idea how to fix it.  

That said, coders are people too.  We all make mistakes. This one just affects those of us that use Apple Mail regularly.

The way to fix the problem is to create a new email FROM the address that's causing the problem.

On the far right side of the subject line, there's a lock looking icon that shows encrypted to not. (for the record, this shouldn't exist - Apple needs to remove this) Turn this button thingy into an X.  Your message will not try to encrypt using Adobe's encryption keys now.  It will, however, use the Apple Mail internal encryption which works just fine and is equally secure.  If your messages STILL won't send, hit the deny button, quit Mail, open it up again, and ensure that encrypt button has the x in it.

PS - Adobe, if you're reading this, please remove Acrobats ability to encrypt the messages in the mail app. Package the PDF with the public keys, and send that in some super secret package with the recievers keys pre-installed in acrobat.  There's no need to perform this trick in the Mail app. I'll send the report in the apple support forums as well.  Apple should prevent third parties from doing this! 

>>if you want to find the quickest and easiest way to perform a task for your company, find the laziest person you can to figout out how to complete said task<<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had same problem caused by an Adobe Doc. At first I coulnd't see any certificates under 'my certificates' tab but they seemed to appear later. So I deleted both and got my email back. Phew. Thank you. 🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the 8-point blue shield on an outgoing email and unchecked it.  That did it.  Then deleted an extra signature in Keychain as described above.  The blue shield either doesn't always show or it's so small that I never noticed it before.  Nothing in the Mail Help files seem to describe it.  That should be fixed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines