Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Hand Default Cursor

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

How do you make the hand your permanent default cursor for any PDF you open from that point forward? 

Thank you,

Amelia 

TOPICS
How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since this option seems to be document dependent, you will see that in the forums the correct answer is to go to Edit, Preferences, Accesibility and then, under "Other Accessibility Options" section, uncheck the box that says "Always display keyboard selection cursor".

After that click OK. Close Acrobat and reopen it.

If you really wish to see if this works, don't open a PDF document that you've worked with before.

The selection tool and the hand tool seem to be dependent on what tool you switch to when working with your PDFs.

So after you do that, go ahead and open Acrobat by itself. Select File, Create, Create Form.

You will be prompted with three options: Single File, Scanner, Create New.

Choose Create New (to create a new form), then click on the Start blue button provided.

A blank page will open with the Prepare Form tool active amd the main tool bar ribbon greyed out.

Select Close, to close the Prepare Form toolbar.

You will immediately see that the hand tool will be highlighted in blue indicating that that is the default selection tool now.

At anytime you can switch between the two. But if youbalso want to enable more working caoabilities to your hand tool, go to Edit, Preferences, General.

Under the Basic Tools section,  tick the boxes labeled as "Make Hand Tool Select Text & Images", Make hand tool read articles", etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already unchecked "Always display keyboard selection cursor" and I am still getting the drawing box.

Being able to select text is th main reason I have this Adobe subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that the text that you're referring to is not the product of a scanned document, or else you won't be able to select text with the method that you're describing.

If, for example, your PDF was produced from a scanned document, you may need to use the "Scan & OCR" tool to see if it can recognize text and also to make text in those scanned  images searcheable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes I am aware of that. If I right click and take it of select text and then put it back on it works. But obviously this is extremely annoying and time consuming.

I should be able to set the select text as a default and it should stay like this. I have tried many different options through preferences as different "Solved" answers pop up. 

If anyway knows a solution that actually WORKS I would love to hear it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I get issues like this, I also use the Accessibility tool and run an Accessibility check.

The Accessibility check will produce a report  from running a series of tests on that file; then it will report back to the user with the failed tests.

You can then employ the Print Production tool to analyze further what is wring  and customize PDF fixups as needed.

NOTE: Not always this works, specially if the problematic PDF file was produced with another software (other than Acrobat), or from a scanning device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines