• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manually installing PDF Printer

Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My name is Justin and i work for Desktop support for a company. Im currently having a issue with installing  a PDF printer, we install Adobe Writer 9 Pro through the network using advertised programs on Win XP. Whenever i install the application it does not seem to automatically install a PDF printer on my pritner list. When i attempt to manually add it i get through all the steps sucessfully, however upon clicking finish, it then opens a directory box which wants me to point it somewhere, when i click cancel it then says something about inserting disk. Where i work discs are dissallowed, can anyone tell me where it wants me to point it or any potential workaround that i would not have to specify a path? My assumption is that it wants something from system 32 or adobe's program files but it does not specify.

Thanks

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

1.6M

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Please note that the Adobe PDF Printer functionality to create PDF files  is only available with Adobe Acrobat (paid version), and not with Adobe Reader (free version).

Solution 1

Repair the Acrobat installation using the option in the Help menu.

Solution 2

Uninstall and then re-install Acrobat on your Windows OS.

Solution 3

Manually install the PDF Printer

• Click Start >  Control Panel > Devices and Printers
  • Select Add a printer
  • Select Add a local printer
  • Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Hi,

You may take help from the following updated Adobe article Adobe PDF printer is missing | Manually install PDF printer

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did that without your help.

The printer should not have disappeared in the first place.

It happened after an Adobe update. Probably a bug from your side.

Such a waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. It does everything I need it to do so have no reason to upgrade. The only exception is that the Adobe PDF Creator printer does not show up in my list of printers (I have Win 8.1). If I use Word, I can save to PDF, but when using WordPerfect (v.X5), the built-in only saves the single page showing. So, I need to be able to "print" to PDF. Since the Adobe PDF Creator is not on the list of printers, I can't do that. I have followed the instructions in the "correct" answer, though there are 5 (not 6) Adobe PDF Converters listed under the Adobe manufacturer. In my case, AdobePDF.inf is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF. I choose "replace the current driver". I get "unable to install printer. Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network". If I "use the driver that is currently installed, I get the same problem. I tried all five converters. What next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this particular case, your problem is very simple. The original Acrobat 8 is not compatible with any version of Windows beyond Windows XP 32-bit in terms of the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance. As you found it, it simply won't install.

The workaround? After you install Acrobat 8, immediately let it update to Acrobat 8.1 where compatibility was added for the changes Microsoft made in the print interfaces used by the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance. That driver should install as part of the Acrobat 8.1 installation.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on Help > Check for Updates, I get "There are no updates available at this time." so how do I get it to update to 8.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that the OP's post is marked "Answered". But I just want to share what happened to me today in case someone with the same problem found this article through search engines.

I struggled with Windows 8.1 Acrobat DC for a long time to get the elusive pdf printer installed but not successful for about 1.5 yrs. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 with the same Acrobat DC version still with no pdf printer. I've searched and done everything and every instruction found available through google to no avail. But today, I right clicked on a docx file and selected Convert to pdf (without really thinking what I was doing) and a dialog window came up warning me about Acrobat Distiller error (didn't really read the exact phrase because I was pretty tired) which also asked if I want to fix the problem or something in that vein I guess (I can't/won't try to uninstall my now-working pdf printer and retry the whole thing just to know the exact wording obviously). And it took some minutes running some kind of installing blah blah window about 2/3 times. I was half expecting it to fail. Well, unbelievably, it was successful et voila, there is pdf printer in my devices and printers list.

It may or may not be related to Windows 10. I'm almost sure that no component of my Acrobat DC got updated recently because I've not connected my computer to internet for about 3 weeks already.

All that I've done is,

1.Right Click on a .docx file,

2.selected the "Convert to pdf".

So, I guess that it won't hurt anybody to try that in case he/she can't install his/hers Acrobat DC pdf printer.

HTHs

EE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have searched for & tried installing the elusive Adobe print driver. It wasn't a WIndows issue. The problem came about when I installed Acrobat DC. All previous versions of Acrobat didn't have this issue.

Anyway, the reason for my response is to say, "earthly emotions, you were spot on correct"! This is the only solution posted over the last year by anyone that has worked for me. THANK YOU. I would suggest others try this as well. Skip all the other possible solutions...headaches and failures..."earthly emotions" has the answer, and it works beautifully. Adobe should hire you "earthly emotions."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I have faced this problem few months back.in printer manually PDF papers comes when i was using printers.By installing the drivers get quality papers.if you should install REMOVED LINK will get good performance.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not post dangerous links to illegal copies of software. As well as being illegal, this is a very fast way to get malware. I will try to have the link removed. If you need a driver go to the original manufacturer only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

easiest  salutation to this problem:

1. open the file with google chrome (opens almost  every format)

2. click "ctrl + p"

3. "save as pdf"

done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

You could try doPDF 8 to use the print as pdf feature. I wanted a printable pdf file of only a few pages from my word document. doPDF 8 was helpful for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You may take help from the following updated Adobe article Adobe PDF printer is missing | Manually install PDF printer

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At very first I am trying to print the pdf by the HP printer but the printer some time does printing well but sometimes not printing well. That's why I am trying to install a pdf printer software manually. But the problem is still not recovered. The printer not printing the pdf. I don't know what is exactly the problem behind this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines