• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask first 5 of social security number

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form that brings information from my core system and plugs into the mapped fields.  One of the fields is applicant social security number.  This field comes over from the core as the 9 digit social security number, which then populates on the form.  The core company does not offer a masked version of this field. 

How can I set the text field to mask the first 5 of the social security with X's(or whatever at this point).  I'm self taught so I'm not versed in any scripting that would make this possible.  I attemtped to use an Arbitrary Mask format but that didn't work.  Any help would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the Custom Format script option for the text field. This will mask the displayed value but still allow input and editing of the full SSN. You could also create a keystroke script to accept the 9 digit or the edited SSN. You may needformat to set the format to None. A possible sctipt could be:

if(/^(\d{3}[-. ](\d{2}[-. ](\d{4}$/).test(event.value) == true){
event.value = "***-**-" + RegExp.$3;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I ended up doing a combo of multiple things I found (using some of your logic as well) and it works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind sharing your solution?  I have the exact situation that I'm working to solve for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I honestly don't think my method is the "correct" method, but what I did works and haven't had any problem for the last 4-5 years.  For my scenario I was using a text field that is called MEMBER_TIN and I wanted to mask the first 5 of the TIN and leave the last 4

In the Text Field Properties of the MEMBER_TIN text field, click the Calculate Tab

* Custom Calculation Script is:

event.value = this.getField("MEMBER_TIN").valueAsString.substr(-4);

Then, go to the Format tab of the text field properties box and select Custom from the Select format categor

*Custom Format Script is:

if(event.value) event.value = "XXX-XX-" + event.value;

This made the 9 digit social (say it's 123-45-6789) and turned it into XXX-XX-6789

you can remove the hyphens if you just wanted to mask regular numbers, change the X to whatever you want the "masking" to be, and in the custom calculation script the (-4) was how many numbers I wanted to leave at the end, so if you wanted 2 you would just do (-2).

Again, I'm sure people will find a lot wrong with this, but it works!  Hope it helps you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change 123-45-6789 to XXX-XX-6789 use this as custom format script of that field:

event.value = event.value.replace(/^(\d{3})-(\d{2})-(\d{4})$/, 'XXX-XX-$3');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank yo so much!!! This is exactly what I needed.  🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines