• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Matching a font in editing a PDF file

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my issue: I'm trying to edit a PDF and the Helvetica neue choices that are in my Adobe don't offer the medium or the ten others in the family. I cannot edit to match the document. It appears my helvetica neue is Light vs regular or medium. I try to download the helveticaneue I have in the Mac, on a CD, in a folder and all I get is "denied" from Adobe. In fact, if I search Helvetica neue in the awesome Creative Cloud for Adobe I get "font not found." So, what gives? How do I "just simply" add the family I have in my computer. I'd rather not spend hours on this... I can't copy words, or do anything that would allow me to "just simply" match the font that is in the document. Apparently the hurdle, or hoop, depending upon where you are in the rabbit hole, is that my font ends in ttc instead of ttf. But the one that is from 1995 which is linotype, ends in ttf. 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

There's a "Clear Recent" at bottom right corner. You can select some or all.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

I don't use the Mac's Helevtica Neue myself. I've always used the Type 1 versions in the past (before Apple switched to .dfonts and .ttc), and moved over to the OTF versions when they first came out years ago. The OTF versions can live happily among the TrueType versions and don't conflict, but unfortunately Adobe no longer has licenses for those (hence why they aren't available through CC) so you'd have to buy them from Linotype now.

Regardless, this should be submitted as a bug, as I was able

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As you have mentioned above, the font is not available or matching when you try to edit the PDF.

Would you mind sahring the PDF with us so we can check it on our end?

Also, share the Acrobat and OS version you are using on your Mac.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I solved my problem by importing the PDF into a Publishing program, then editing in that program, then saving back as a PDF.  I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro and Mojave. See attached images. 

Attached is a sample of how the font gets replaced. Just read the paragraphs and you’ll see. 

I cannot waste any more time attempting to deal with this; the document is 111 pgs and I don’t feel like creating a duplicate, deleting all the pages except one, put in an example of an edit so you can see this happen, then get the answer “sorry for the inconvenience.”  I put in about four hours on this, including going to two different forums, watching tutorials and then having to use a different method than “just simply” editing the pdf in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (which I pay a monthly fee to use). 
Clearly the problem is with Adobe Acrobat Pro and the ability to edit the Helvetica Neue. I appreciate your requests but as we know the answer will be “sorry for the inconvenience.” 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts properly embedded in your original PDF? (File> Properties> Fonts) all should say embedded or embedded subset. If not, use a preflight fixup to embed the fonts before editing. (Tools> Print Production> Preflight> Fixups). 

embed preflight.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing will fix this issue. All other fonts work. yes, embedded, etc etc etc 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote a lengthy response, added screen captures then got the message I couldn't respond by way of the email. Don't really feel like trying to reproduce what I sent. Basically, all these questions are great questions, but nothing has fixed the issue. I opened another document I had created with Helvetica Neue, two pager, same issue. It's the font. Nothing will fix it. Googling about the font explains about Adobe Support, Adobe licensing, and so forth. 

If you can share with me a document you have created with Helvetica Neue and have been able to edit it - and point out that edit in the original document - that would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, did this. Checked this. Ran the Analyze and Fix. Did nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance using a font manager?

I use Font Explorer and it tends to list only partial styles in this collection (in fact, on my iMac that I'm typing this on now, only 3 of the styles show, yet all 14 are available in InDesign, etc. So I'm wondering if it's a conflict of some sort.

Regardless, I have been able to reproduce this issue. I made a test PDF with all 14 styles, embedded properly: Same results as you've experienced. I used InDesign, Word, Excel and even Text Edit to make the PDF: no difference.

So, it appears Acrobat DC cannot show all the styles in .ttc (TrueType Collection) files, of which Helevetica Neue is one. I tried a couple more that had "more than the usual 4" built in styles and had similar results.

Funny thing though, it does NOT happen in an older version: Acrobat XI shows all 14 styles as available in my test PDF (although this was viewed on an old El Capitan install, so the Helvetica Neue fonts were in .dfont format).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use fonts.com. I will never use Helvetica neue in a document that will be changed into PDF. Done. It's really that simple. There's no reason to agonize over it. 

I did discover a glitch, I assume, where HN was showing as being in my fonts, but there was a duplicate, and I then chose "remove duplicates," but as it is with tech, they didn't remove, click click click stop remove delete delete. So, I finally was able to get there by doing this and this and that and that and this and remove it. Then I loaded it back in and there is only one set of HN. Should I wish to play around and attempt I will, but going forward I choose one of the other 10000000 fonts I have that isn't HN. The end. 🙂 

Thanks for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't use the Mac's Helevtica Neue myself. I've always used the Type 1 versions in the past (before Apple switched to .dfonts and .ttc), and moved over to the OTF versions when they first came out years ago. The OTF versions can live happily among the TrueType versions and don't conflict, but unfortunately Adobe no longer has licenses for those (hence why they aren't available through CC) so you'd have to buy them from Linotype now.

Regardless, this should be submitted as a bug, as I was able to see the same problem with a couple of other .ttc fonts not listing properly in the menu when doing spot edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a question for you, off topic. How do I remove all the "RECENTS" when I open Adobe Acrobat Pro? Since whenever I open Adobe Acrobat Pro and attempt to choose a file that is in recents I get a message that says the file no longer exists and I can't get there from here. 

Instead of pretending that this is helpful, or I can get to a file to open from the "just simply" recent mode, how do i remove these so I NEVER SEE IT AGAIN since it never shows me a file I can open? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also like having to jump through "sign in" hoops when I'm on my own computer, don't share the files with anyone, don't plan on sharing the files or have any need to have security on my files on my own computer. Love that waste of time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 7.33.14 PMEDT.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 7.34.06 PMEDT.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a "Clear Recent" at bottom right corner. You can select some or all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines