• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing option on latest version: "open documents as new tabs in the same window"

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 2022.003.20282, just installed this week and is up to date.  On my previous computer I was able to uncheck the box for "open documents as new tabs in the same window" to prevent new documents from opening as tabs.  I prefer them to open in their own new window.  Does the newest version remove this option and force users to use tabs?  Or am I missing something here..?  Thx

Screenshot 2022-12-01 231150.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott27373247h2uy,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please let us know if the option disappeared after updating the application.

Did you try preparing the application installation? If not, go to Help > Repair Installation.

Would you mind sharing the screenshot of the Acrobat window showing how it opens the PDF?

Did you notice any other changes?

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem, and apparently even Adobe employees in these forums don't realize that this is the default behavior of "new Acrobat." For now, the only way to fix it is to select "Disable new Acrobat," or something similar (I've already disabled mine and I'm never going back if I don't have to!) from the "hamburger menu." Just amazing customer care around here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, thank you!  I had no idea you can just disable.  I am never going to the new version.  Have been using it for months and it stinks.  (I am being nice.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option seems to have been completely removed from "new Actobat"
In order to get this option back you must disable new acrobat from the 'hamburger' menu on the top left.
this also affects 22.003.20310

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked pefectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK  YOU!  The new stuff was making me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unreal!  resolved the issue.  thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option seems to have been completely removed from "new Actobat"
In order to get this option back you must disable new acrobat from the 'hamburger' menu on the top left.
this also affects 22.003.20310

By @Samuel23641261ckvq

On a macOS you should check the "View" menu.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG, thank you!  I had no idea you can just disable in new version.  It is such garbage, why are they fixing what is not broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be great if Adobe Acrobat Pro allowed the option to open in new windows.  So disappointing that they have removed this option.   Really bad way to have to work with all tabes in the one window, and have to repeatedly answer the question whether to close all tabs.  REally slows down when using multiple pdfs at a time.  shouldn't have to revert back to the older version of Acrobat just to keep a useful feature available.  ADOBE get your act together and think about what people want.  From fhe community pages I can see that many people want to keep this option. 

Also really hard to find how to contact ADOBE with suggestions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can close the tabs separatly, if you want. You can also disable the question in the properties, then you close all tabs. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to close the current tab. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your reply Abanbo but of course you can close the tabs separate, or all at once, or disable the question.  The point is it was a very functional way to work being able (by preference) open new pdfs in new tabs (and of course close them).  I did revert back to the old version to avoid this issue but found by doing this, they'd removed the option of organise pages.  Which is a necessary function for my work, meaning that I had to go back to the new one.    Think ADOBE should just keep the good options that they had, not remove or omit in a newer version.  Why take out something that worked?  Preferences are for individual use preference so this is an easy way to give each user the option to work how they want .  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they'd removed the option of organise pages.  Which is a necessary function for my work, meaning that I had to go back to the new one.

By @MEL23775674nsy4

I don't think that they removed this option. I for my part can work my pages in both, the old and the new interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me crazy. I almost never want tabs--I want multiple pdfs right in front of me at the same time. Have they fixed this yet? I don't want to have to disable new acrobat, as I'm in the middle of an important project and I'm afraid I might lose something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines