• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mouse Autoscrolling

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to be able to click the mouse wheel and then be able to scroll a document.  I can click the mouse wheel and as long as I hold it down it will scroll.  Is there anyway to get Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to allow for the scroll to occur once you release the wheel.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hit CTRL+SHIFT+H in your keyboard. This will activate the Automatically Scrolling feature. The you can use the mouse wheel to scroll up or down or pause the automatically scrolling of the document pages.

Use the up and down arrow keys to control how fast or how slow you want the pages to scroll.  

Pressing the "-" (minus sign key) once  by itself will reverse the scrolling backup and pressing it again to scroll back down.

Hit the "Esc" key to stop the automatically scrolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion works but it is difficult to control.  All of my other software allows me to use the mouse wheel and control the speed and stop the scroll by moving the mouse.  Why does Adobe not follow what appears to be somesort of a standard?

I can use the mouse wheel and as long as I hold it down the document scrolls.  I can move the mouse and the document will speed up or slow down.  When I hold the mouse wheel down a hand icon appears with four arrows.  When I release the mouse wheel the scrolling stops.  To me this is better and easier to control than the automatic scrolling. 

I have a Logitech mouse.  I discovered that if I use the Logitech software and select the mouse wheel to auto scroll than Adobe works as I want.  The problem is some of my other software stops working, not sure why.  I tried a Dell mouse, which came with the PC, it performs the same way, but does not have the software to control the mouse wheel. 

I could be wrong but I don't think Adobe has always acted this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting. Can you share the exact model of those mice?

I would like to check on something. I'm curious now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The logitech mouse models are M325 and M510.  The M325 is on a laptop and the M510 is on my desktop.  Both exibit the same thing.

The Dell mouse is a model J66000 and is on my desktop.

The Logitech mouse can use Logitech software to change the function of the buttons.  The mouse wheel can be assigned to scroll.  If I do that Adobe works, but my email program stops working.  Not sure why since other programs work regardless of the software setting.

All three mice act the same way if I don't use the Logitech software to assign a function to the mouse wheel.

In the Adobe software I use the setting "Fit to width scrolling".

If I hold down the mouse wheel a hand icon appears with four arrows.  As long as I hold the button down I can move the mouse and document will scroll.  Depending on how far I move the mouse I can control the speed and stop the scroll.  Other software acts the same way but I do not have to hold the mouse wheel down.  With other software I can cancel the operation by clicking a button or moving the mouse wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Please create a feature request in https://acrobat.uservoice.com with the details.

Thanks,

Sweta Karn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I submitted the feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++Adding to the always valuable guidance of Dave_M

As mentioned by swetakarn submit a feature request using the wishform.

From what I read so far, what you're trying to work around is a feature integration that seems to work well  with web browsers, but not with every other application.

Like you've mentioned, when you click the scrolling wheel once and long press it for a second or so you move the mouse up or down and it should activate the Automatically Scrolling feature using just the mouse, no keyboard interaction should be necessary.

Most mouse manufacturers support websites that I researched suggest to install their full software suite to enable this feature rather than letting the operating system handle it with its own set of generic mouse driver application.

So I went ahead and did as my hardware manufacturer suggested  and tested it with both Acrobat and also  with Micrososft Office programs;  to my surprise it also doesn't work, and it behaves just like with the Adobe Acrobat.

The automatically scrolling feature using  only the mouse scrolling wheel works with some of the different web browsers that I have installed with no problem though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure how you tested, but the only program I have found where this does not work is Adobe Reader.

I have installed the Logitech SetPoint software.  There is an option where you can assign autoscroll to the mouse wheel.  When I set the option for the mouse wheel Adobe Reader will allow me to scroll by moving the mouse.  The problem with this is that my email program stops scrolling, but it does not affect other programs.

You mentioned Microsoft Office.  I tried using the mouse scroll with Word and it worked correctly. 

What I have noticed is that it seems like that all programs do not display the same icon.  Since the feature works I am not sure this is important.  Adobe Reader is the only one I have found that displays a hand icon.  If I set the Logitech software function, which allows Adobe Reader to scroll, the icon changes to a double headed arrow.

I have two mice.  The Logitech mouse is the one I use because it is wireless.  The PC came with a Dell mouse.  The Dell mouse acts the same as the Logitech mouse.  The problem is the Dell mouse has no software to configure it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I updated my reply if you missed that.

Is working good with all MS Office and all of my web browsers.

I also installed the software from the venndor for my mouse device and seems to be ok. But just like your Dell mouse is a very limited software suite with almost no tweaking capabilities.

It works good with both Acrobat and Reader when doing the long press method and moving the mouse up or down to scroll;  it won't activate the Automacally Scrolling feature. The hand iscon stays until you release the button press. When you release it, no automatic scrolling occurs.

The change in icon from hand icon to double arrows is to visually indicate the user that it has switched  to automatic scrolling, so when you release the mouse at this point the page will continue to scroll automatically if that's what the user intends to do.

At least you got it to work with mostly everything else in your computer.

Have you manually forced an update of the operating system and also apply the optional update that was released for Acrobat,  May 2020? 

I mean at this point, it won't hurt to continue trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader.

I have version 2020.009.20063.

I checked for updates and it indicates there are none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and the update was installed.  Same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Acrobat's auto-scroll feature, the numeric keys serve as a speed control.  Tap 0, and the speed is at a crawl.  1 is a tiny bit faster, and all the way up to 9, which zips by really fast.  Over the years, after a long day of 'mousing', I have used this to kick back and read some long PDFs without touching anything.

I hope this is useful info.  My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++UPDATE

I was able to get it to work in all of my Micrososft Office applications and in all of  my installed web browsers. Acrobat still shows the same inability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++UPDATE

I just discovered that the mouse autoscrolling  feature works in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC but partially.

When I am editing extensive lines of code in a field, this mouse autoscroll feature seems to only work in the  javascript editing windows, like for example, in the custom calculation script section of a field object.

So like you suspected, I agree that this is  a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bill,

I have always experienced exactly the same problem as you regarding auto scrolling, the only time i have a problem is with adobe PDFS. I can see that you submitted one of those request forms to Adobe 3 1/2 years ago now in may 2020 and they have done nothing at all about it, just wondering if anyone else knows any way to get around this problem at all. Thanks so much for raising this problem Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines