• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-line text field - text doesn't show up after first line?

Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time I've ever used Acrobat to create a fillable form.  I think I've got the basics down, but my problem is that I've run into an issue when trying to insert a multi-line text box in my document.

I've created the box to the needed size and set the following in the properties:

• Appearance:  Size - 12  —  Font - Cambria
  • Options:  Both the multi-line & scroll long text boxes are checked

What's happening is that when I attempt to actually use this text box, it isn't working right.  I thought that the settings I used above would allow the text to automatically drop down to a new line and continue typing.  What's happening is that the cursor does automatically drop down to the next line in the box, but the text is invisible. I'm including 2 screenshots to show the section I'm talking about.

This is what it looks like while I'm typing:

Capture1.PNG

This is what it looks like when I click outside of the box:

Capture.PNG

[The full text that I typed into the box was:  The defendant is incarcerated on other felony charges which violates the terms and conditions on his bond.]

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thebooknerd,

I've created the box to the needed size and set the following in the properties:

• Appearance:  Size - 12  —  Font - Cambria
  • Options:  Both the multi-line & scroll long text boxes are checked

What's happening is that when I attempt to actually use this text box, it isn't working right.  I thought that the settings I used above would allow the text to automatically drop down to a new line and continue typing.  What's happening is that the cursor does automatically drop down to the next line in the box, but the text is invisible. I'm including 2 screenshots to show the section I'm talking about.

Change Appearance: Font Size- Auto 

This is what it looks like when I click outside of the box:

Capture.PNG

This is how Output would look like. Even though the text would spread into multi-line while typing, but when you'll click outside or save form then form field content would only appear when you will click inside.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the font size to Auto as suggested.  While that did allow the full text to show up as needed, the text was decreased in size as the sentence continued instead of keeping the text full-sized and dropping down to a new line when the right margin of the text field was reached.

Screenshot:

Capture2.PNG

As you can see, it also moved the justification of the text to the bottom of the text field instead of the top as I had set it (see original screenshots above from yesterday).

I really need someone to help me figure out how to format this text field so that the following are met:

• I need this box to keep the same sized text without shrinking it to fit a single line as it did in the new screenshot when text size was set to Auto.
  • I need this box to automatically drop down to the next line when the text reaches the right margin of the field.
  • I need the text to be justified at the top of the text field instead of it moving to the bottom like it did in the new screenshot.

Thanks for anyone who can assist me with this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User 

were you able to find an answer or find a work around? i have the exact same question so curious what, if anything, you were able to learn? 

appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can I check which version of ACrobat you are using as in this version

BarlaeDC_0-1607112493702.png

I was able to get it to work as expected.

BarlaeDC_1-1607112514639.pngBarlaeDC_2-1607112527163.png

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malcolm,

My version reads as "2020.006.20034."

Can I ask what modifications you made in the settings to allow multiple lines visible, aligned at the top of the text box, without selecting Auto for the text size?

Steph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malcom, I might have missed your response to my question of what specific steps you took to make multiple lines visible, aligned at the top of the text box, without selecting Auto for the text size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure it out? I have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am with Tiff98A5, I am having the same issue and was wondering if anyone has had any luck?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the font Cambria.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still looking for a solution to this same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI,

Can you share a document where you are not able to get it working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines