• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiply fields in one column by a fixed number and populate second column - Simple Field Notation?

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like it should be simple but I have no idea where to begin. I have a budget worksheet that lists Estimated Monthly expenses in column A. In column B I would like it to auto-fill with Ax12 to get the Annual Expense. I think I need a simplified field notation or a custom calculation on Column B fields ?
And I think I need to enter a notation for every field in column B-- I don't see any way to identify a whole column of fields. (Honestly, I'll take the simplest way– it won't be unreasonable if I have to type all 45 notations)

I tried searching the forum and came up with this SFN from looking at another post I found: Monthly estimate.0 * 12 

but it's not working. I'm guessing I'm missing something basic because I have zero experience writing calculations of any kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

note: I also tried changing the field names to remove the spaces between the words in case that was an issue but that didn't seem to help either.

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 11.34.21 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for resource. The screenshots are in French, so I may be missing something but I didn't see any reference to calculating one column by a fixed number. The method displayed here is how I placed the multiple fields to begin with. I see that it is best practice to remove the spaces, but I was able to successfully calculate the sum of the fields at the bottom of column one. Now I need to calculate each field in column 1 by a predetermined fixed value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using the "Custom calculation script" along with hierarchical field names one can compute the field names if a row if the fields are created using "Create multiple copies".

var cFieldName = event.target.name;

var aFieldName = cFieldName.split(".");

var cRow = "";

if(aFieldName.length > 1){

cRow = "." + aFieldName[aFieldName.length - 1];

}

event.value = this.getField("Monthlyestimate" + cRow).value * 12;

Note the script can tell if the field does not have multiple levels. This helps in testing the calculation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines