• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My comments disappeared, is there a way to get them back?

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent some time annotating text on an article and adding comments to it. I saved it and I made sure the comments were still seen when I clicked on the pdf from my downloads. When I went back to it the next day, all the comments were gone. The highlighting is still there but I can't find a way to look at my comments. I even tried using ctrl + z to undo it and see if the comments return but it's all gone. Is there some way to get it back or are they gone forever?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this PDF document currently shared with others in a networled environment (or a cloud space) or is it currently saved locally in a personal computer?

Also, can you confirm if this file was opened in a web browser, or with a PDF viewer other than Acrobat Pro DC or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it shared with one other person, It is saved on my personal computer though. It opens in a web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said that the document opens in a web browser. Try opening the PDF directly in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, my comments still weren't there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaliyah24607814d6vj_0-1654013758773.png

So the first highlight is an example of what my comments looked like, the second highlight just shows what my thing is now because the comments disappeared. When you hover over the comment thing at the beginning of the highlight, you see the comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program are you using the view this PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It almost looks as if the comment is part of a scanned image.

Can you confirm if that is the case? And if it is, are you able to make that image searchable with text using the "Scan & OCR" tool.

In any case, you may want to use first the "Accessibility" tool and run a "Accessibility Report".

This built-in feature will reveal all  sorts of structure erros in your PDF and print it out in an appended page to your PDF for review.

When you get this report please post back with a screenshot of that report and also get the following:

• With your PDF document open in Acrobat, right-click with your pointing device (mouse) on any part of the document and select from the context menu "Document Properties".

• Select the "Description" tab. 

• At the bottom of that dialogue window look the section "Advanced" --->>> right below it "PDF Producer"; post back with what program it says in  there that was used to produce your source PDF document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think it's a scanned image. I got this article off of explora teens for school. I don't think I am doing the accessibility report right. When I click it nothing is happening. For the PDF producer it says "PDFium"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines