• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My signature is unreadable.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly my digital signature is corrupt.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat XI Pro, but still the signature is unreadable.  I've deleted all digital signatures and recreated one and the same thing happens when I try to sign a document.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue??

Doc1.jpg

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

So, I used the cleaner tool to remove Acrobat.  Then I manually removed all Acrobat folders that I could find on the drive.  Then I searched the registry and removed all entries for Acrobat.  After that I rebooted and reinstalled Acrobat, downloaded and installed the update and after a final reboot, all is well with my signature.

I appreciate your helpful suggestions.  Especially for the cleaner tool, even though it doesn't really remove all traces, it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi barryc,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are facing issue with digital signature appearance in Acrobat XI, is that correct?

Could you try changing the "text properties" for digital signature by clicking the drop-down ( standard text) next to appearance

Click create new appearance > and try chaging the options under "Digits". Does that help?

Below is a screenshot:

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that didn't fix the issue.  It did change the details of the signature to readable text, but my name was still garbage characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi barryc,

Try resetting preferences for Acrobat using the steps given in this link: How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.  reboot the machine after resetting preferences and check if that resolves the isuse.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam:

Thanks for the response, but no luck with moving the preferences folder.  Still have the same signature issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi barryc,

Could you try replicating the issue in a new user account by creating a new user account on the machine,  login into that account, launch Acrobat from there and check if this behavior continues?

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I opened Acrobat after creating a new user account, I had to create a signature in Acrobat.  I created a signature for the new user and it worked as it should.

How do I completely remove Acrobat 11, so I can do a clean install for my normal user login.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try following troubleshooting steps on your user account:

1- Download and run cleaner tool on the machine to uninstall Acrobat:Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

2- Reboot the machine

3- Download and install Acrobat from here: Download Acrobat XI, Acrobat X

4- Reboot the machine again and check.

You need your Acrobat serial number to complete the installation.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your instructions and uninstalled Acrobat using the tool, rebooted and reinstalled Acrobat.  Rebooted the machine and tried the signature.  Still gives me garbage characters.  The signature file must be getting corrupted somehow??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi barryc,

Reinstalling Acrobat using cleaner tool should have removed the signature file for Acrobat as well. Could you let us know if you are signing Acrobat using a certificate from a certificate authority or with self-signed one? If using CA, try creating a self-signed id using the steps given here and check: Digital IDs in Acrobat

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a self signed certificate in Windows certificate store.

I'll try creating a new PKCS#12 id and let you know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created a new PKCS#12 signature and it came up with the same unreadable characters as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi barryc,

It seems the issue is related to the user account on the machine. Try the steps given in the following help document for the same:

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior in specific user account

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I used the cleaner tool to remove Acrobat.  Then I manually removed all Acrobat folders that I could find on the drive.  Then I searched the registry and removed all entries for Acrobat.  After that I rebooted and reinstalled Acrobat, downloaded and installed the update and after a final reboot, all is well with my signature.

I appreciate your helpful suggestions.  Especially for the cleaner tool, even though it doesn't really remove all traces, it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move or delete everything in the C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat folder, if you are using Windows. Close and restart Adobe Acrobat Reader/ Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Try to sign again, using digital certificates. See if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the issue for me without reinstalling Adobe, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It also worked for me.  Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
I had the same issue, but the suggestions in this topic did not solve it. 
However, I found the solution in another thread: 
Solved: Appearance of electronic signatures destroyed (pro... - Adobe Support Community - 12838539
In short, in C:\Windows\Fonts there is a shortcut to the MyriadPro font used by Adobe for the signature that points somewhere else (in my case was another software). 
I deleted it, cancelled the files in the cache folder of C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ and also a couple of old file font list (AdobeSysFntXX.lst AdobeCMapFntXX.lst in my case XX was 21 and 22, with 23 the latest version, also recreated into the cache folder later). 
Before staring this procedure, close adobe and other software that might interfere, possibly remove also the existing corrupted signature, and then after restarting Adobe, it should work! (at least in my case it did)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines