Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to Adobe Acrobat DC - No 'edit PDF' option in the tools menu

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm having trouble opening a PDF to then edit it to add a watermark.

I've just downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, the install bar was there, it absolutely looked like it was being installed. It appears in Installed Programs*, and when I right-click a test file, it shows as Adobe Acrobat DC, it doesn't say Reader.

But when I right-click and open the test PDF and open with Adobe Acrobat DC, the program opens and it says Adobe Acrobat Reader DC instead.

Am I doing something wrong? Could this be an issue caused during installation?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided, much appreciated.

Paul

*I installed it today the 18th, I don't now why it says three days ago in one of the images.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Default,

This is because Acrobat is not like other programs AND most importantly, Editing in Acrobat should not be considered as editing in the application that created the original document. 

First off, to answer your question, to enter into the Editing capabilities of Acrobat, there are three ways to access Editing in Acrobat. 

1) From the Tools page:

2021-10-18_09-35-45.png

2) From the menus:

2021-10-18_09-38-20.png

3) And lastly it might be on the Right-hand Panel (and if it's not there you can place it there yourself)

2021-10-18_09-35-09.png

 

Now, back to what I was saying about Editing in Acrobat, if you wish to change the date of an item, or fix a spelling or two, it's great. But if you plan on doing wholesale changes in the document, you are entering a full-scale world of pain. 

Always keep in mind that a PDF is a digitally printed document. If you take an actual printed document and see a miss-spelling, the only real thing you can do is to open up the original document in the application that created that document and fix it there. So, in this case, Acrobat is a blessing. But when it comes to major changes, like breaking a single paragraph into two (or vise versa), please lower your expectations. 

Simply, it's not possible nor realistic to expect Acrobat to have all of the Page layout options as InDesign, Word, or Illustrator, or AutoCAD, or Excel, or Photoshop, or Dreamweaver, or any other program all wrapped up into one piece of software. As explained in the previous paragraph, the fact that Acrobat can do what it can is wonderful, but that's as far as it goes. 

So if your needs are major changes, you have two choices: 1) Find the original documents and make the changes you want/need in them. or 2) If you do not have access to the original document, open the document in Acrobat, Export the document into one of the Export options that fits your needs, and export the document into Word, Excel, whatever, make the changes, and recreate the PDF.

I'm sorry but that's the reality. 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Un-install Acrobat Reader and repair the installation of Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A simple uninstall/reinstall of Acrobat DC through the Creative Cloud Desktop app solved this issue for me - thank you for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines