• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCR fail using Macintosh

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I attempt an OCR of a large PDF file, it gets to the last page and then it freezes. I have attached two screenshots, though the PDF is too large to attach.

For years, this OCR failure always occured with my 2015 MacBook Air, but I just assumed that my computer was old or not powerful enough to handle the job. To do OCR on large files, I'd go to my university's computer lab, where Windows desktops handled these tasks beautifully.

But just this past Monday, I upgraded to a brand-new MacBook Pro, thinking it could handle these jobs and save me from making many trips to computer labs. I was really frustrated today when I finally installed the up-to-date version of Acrobat DC from my Adobe Creative Cloud and found that the same exact problem occurred on my new (and expensive) MacBook Pro. 

Can someone please help me resolve this? Not sure if this a Mac problem or an Adobe problem, or both.

Further details include that these PDFs are all in Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional). I have not tried English.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Best,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to Acrobat Pro DC.]

OCR is never 100% perfect.  I've never tried it with non-English documents, sorry.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. Yes, the Chinese language OCR may be a factor. But I have always worked with this language for OCR and only my Macs have this problem, while the Windows computers have been fantastic. Not sure if I can make adjustments to be able to use my Mac, which I like otherwise.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: More Troubleshooting Failed.

I've just uninstalled Acrobat DC, reinstalled it, then I reduced the PDF file size (from 225 to 75MB) before restarting the OCR process. Once again, Acrobat froze on the last page (screenshot attached).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Split the document and perform OCR on the parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your suggestion and taking the time to read and respond. I did try your idea but it failed again. I tried it in two ways: first, I set the OCR for a shortened page range (1-200 of the 457-page document); second, I chopped the PDF file itself down to 200 pages before running OCR. Both times Acrobat got to the last page and then froze (screenshot). 

While 200 pages (half the original file) may seem like a lot for it to handle, when I've used Acrobat on Windows desktops they easily go through 800 to 900-page PDFs. 

I'm getting really discouraged. If I can't make this work on my MacBook, I probably need to cancel my Creative Cloud subscription. There's so much great stuff on the Creative Cloud, but I just can't justify that kind of money if I can't do the one thing I actually need from it professionally. Sorry to be a downer. I do appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines