• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening and closing pdf is very slow

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is taking way too long for pdfs to open and to close.  I have Acrobat 2017.  Anyone suggest a solution?  P.S. I have cleaned out my Temp file and emptied the Recycle bin, did not make a difference.  Thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Hi Acro88,

As I understand the issue from the description mentioned above, pdfs are taking long time to open and close, could you try following troubleshooting steps: 

1- Check if an update is available for Acrobat using "check for updates" option under Help menu, rebooting the machine and check.

2- If that doesn't work, go to Edit > Preferences > Go to the "Documents" category. Set the number of files in the recently used list to 1 (this will remove all your files that you have recently used from

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Acro88,

As I understand the issue from the description mentioned above, pdfs are taking long time to open and close, could you try following troubleshooting steps: 

1- Check if an update is available for Acrobat using "check for updates" option under Help menu, rebooting the machine and check.

2- If that doesn't work, go to Edit > Preferences > Go to the "Documents" category. Set the number of files in the recently used list to 1 (this will remove all your files that you have recently used from that list). If this fixes your problem, then there may be something wrong with one of the files that you've recently used (e.g. a network drive no longer being available).

3- If step 2 doesn't work, try turning off your virus and malware protection and try again.

4- If that doesn't work, go to Edit > Preferences > "Security (Enhanced)" category and set "Protected View" to "Off" and uncheck "Enable Enhanced Security" > click OK, relaunch Acrobat and check.

Please note: disabling protected view and enhanced security is for troubleshooting purpose only, and not recommended. Please turn the feature back on after troubleshooting is complete.

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS NOT A FIX. After almost 8 months of complaints from users, when is Adobe going to fix this?  Are you refunding paid subscribers? Microsoft (Outlook) has clearly established this is an Adobe issue. Why aren't you putting out an update with a patch/fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my client’s case, he was using Acrobat Standard DC.  Acrobat would open and close quickly but opening and closing PDFs took a long time. Upwards of 25 seconds to close.

In Edit Preferences, I saw Internet in the options. That took me into the Windows Internet Options, Connections tab. I opened up LAN Settings and unchecked “Automatically detect Settings.”  From that point on, I was able to quickly open and close files.

I was messing with a few other setting so please let me know if this helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No::::  Edit > Preferences > Internet > [Internet Settings] > Connections > [LAN Settings] > Automatically detect settings = Uncheck ::: does not solve the problem for me. Each and every document, even every tiny 50 KB document, takes more than 12 seconds to open and close, during which time the program is unavailable ("frozen").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either Fix #2 or Fix #4 or the combination of the two DID work for me. .:::. I suffered from the same problem: Each and every document, even every tiny 50 KB document, had begun to take longer than 12 seconds to open and to close, during which time Acrobat was unavailable ("frozen"). Here's what I did: I checked Fix #1 I was already current with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Continuous Release Version 2021.001.20145. I implemented Fix #2 and Fix #4 together, relaunched, and the problem was solved. .:::. Regarding Fix #3: I run Microsoft Defender (a.k.a. Windows Defender), so was not willing to turn it off (and did not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the 2end method works for my PC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when yuou say "Please note: disabling protected view and enhanced security is for troubleshooting purpose only, and not recommended.", Can you also tell us what permanent solution there is please? This problem costs me an enormous amount of time.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NOTE that Step 4 is TWO PART. 

If that doesn't work, go to Edit > Preferences > "Security (Enhanced)" category and set "Protected View" to "Off"

AND 

uncheck "Enable Enhanced Security" > click OK, relaunch Acrobat and check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we have a permanent fix to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diana37: See my post above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often when converting files from Acad, Solidworks or other graphical complex software the PDF file is loaded with graphical (compressed) data without the required graphical enhancement complexity of the following software’s. this creates a file that is practically not access able on regular computers ands requires very high-end computers with graphical cards lots of ram memory and a H/HQ CPU.

my solution is simple.
open the "slow opening file" and print it as "Microsoft print to PDF" This way you remove the access data and "down scale" your pdf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what works for me on every machine where I've struck this problem:

Uncheck: 'Enable Protected Mode at startup'

and

'Enable Enhanced Security'

under Preferences/Enhanced Security.

Acrobat Reader opens immediately (rather than taking several minutes) after taking these two steps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was taking over 120 seconds for any file (including CAD files) to open.  This suggestion solved that issue.  Thanks default6ie106akvhi9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently came across an AutoCAD file that had all the type outlined. The first 6 pages were super slow on multiple systems. I even tried installing the 64-bit version of Acrobat Pro. Removed those 6 pages and the 100 or so diagram pages moved right along. 

I suggested that the AutoCAD person either not include those pages (they were just boilerplate and not necessary) or not convert the font to outlines. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to help, though closing files is still somewhat slowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I've tried all the tricks mentioned on several of these threads, but nothing works: tried the property changes to security/internet, updated the software, repaired the software, etc.

The only thing that allows me to instantly close and open my files is if I leave the main window of Adobe Acrobat open while I view and close files. If I try to open/close a file without that main Adobe window already open it takes minutes. I don't like having programs open and running when I don't need them to, but with Adobe I have little choice if I want to be efficient at work. A minute or two per file doesn't sound like a lot of time to lose, but when you're expected to provide results in a timely matter with several dozen files to go through, it gets old really quickly.

What's frustrating is before I updated and upgraded I had 0 problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So none of these suggestions here were working for me UTNIL I remembered I was logged in on another work station (to train a transitioning employee) and they left a file open with Adobe at the conclusion of that session. I went over to that computer and found Adobe was working as fast as expected on it with me logged in. So I closed everything and rebooted that machine and now Adobe on my primary work station is working perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines