Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pages Icon Button in Left Column Disappeared

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2008 Dec 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro v. 8.1.3

In the left column, there is the Pages button icon, which when clicked, allows you to see the numerous pages in your document in thumbnail format. It seems after a recent online maintenance upgrade, the Pages button icon has disappeared! I have been told by a friend that my application must be corrupted and that I should reinstall the program, which I really don't want to do.

There must be a way to get it back without a full reinstall.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try: View > Navigation Panels > Pages

This may result in a floating window that you can drag and dock to the usual loacation.

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George your a genius!

I opened up the floating window (which was a good work-around anyway), but then I grabbed the word "pages" in the tab, and dragged and dropped it into the left side panel, and Walla!, it worked.

Then to make sure this wasn't a quick fix for just the open doc I had up, I closed it, and opened up a completely different .pdf doc, and sure enough, the pages icon is still there.

So thank you!

(now how did I lose it in the first place?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably lost it by (accidentally?) undocking the Pages pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a HANG when I try to fix this problem: I can pull up the separate "Pages" mini-window, but when I try to re-integrate it with the left sidebar, Acrobat 9 (on a 2007 iMac running Leopard 10.5.5) gets stuck in a blinking loop. I drag the tab/title "Pages" at the top of the window onto the sidebar, and try to drop. Suddenly, my screen starts misbehaving. Acrobat is apparently trying to erase/redraw the outlines either of the sidebar rectangle (where I'm trying to "drop" the Pages pane back in) or the Pages mini-window that should be disappearing (when I move the cursor away). The application essentially hangs, and the blinking redraw-attempts actually follow me into other applications (Does that mean it's a bug/corruption at the System level, or just that it's an Acrobat problem that reaches all the way through to the OS?)

It seems I can't proceed without force-quitting Acrobat. And alas, when I do, I still don't have the pages function in my left sidebar...

Aha -- UPDATE, for anyone with the same problem. This time (while writing this message), I let the redrawing continue for a long time without force-quitting. About FIVE MINUTES (at least) after the "hang" started, Acrobat dug itself out of its hole and restored its responsiveness (and stopped blinking my screen). Best of all, "Pages" is back on my sidebar where I want it. So, although I'd still call this buggy or corrupted behavior, I found a time-consuming solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second update: NOT RESOLVED, actually.

The above was only a temporary fix. It seems many of my attempts to work with the left sidebar (like switching Pages and other features) result in similar redraw-related hangs. I tried to trash prefs (to get back the original "pristine" state of Acrobat with the Pages pane present at left), but somehow I'm not getting at the right ones; Acrobat launches without "Pages", and hangs on any attempt to work with the mini-window. (I deleted all that I could find both in my user/Library/Preferences/Adobe heading and in the system-wide Preferences/Adobe folder.)

Any hints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!!!

I have Acrobat 9 and when viewing the pages, the last row drops off the screen. So I can't drag and drop to the end of the document. Is this a programming error or do I need to change some sort of setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Olivia,

I have observed the same problem with the last row of pages in a multipage PDF (at least on the Mac). I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Hopefully it will be fixed in Acrobat 9.01 (not yet released!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines