• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

password protection on a CD/DVD is lost when copied to another CD.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied password protected pdfs to a CD. The password protection was working on the CD. When I open a pdf on the CD, it asked me for the password. I made a copy of the CD for BACKUP purposes. On the BACKUP CD, password protection was gone. When I opened a pdf that had been protected on the original CD, it didn't ask for the password. Is this working as designed?

Although it doesn't seem it would make any difference...My system has only one CD drive. The phrase "made a copy of the CD..." involved copying the contents of the original CD to a disk file, then copying that disk file to the BACKUP CD.

Thanks in advance for any suggestons.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

phillipr30442542  wrote

The application doing the copy is Windows Explorer. Do you think it understands how to unprotect a pdf? I don't. The application doing the protect is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. This isn't the free version. I pay for the product and it seems to me that Adobe is ethically obligated to support it.

There is absolutely nothing that Windows Explorer does to the internals of a PDF file or any other type of file when it performs a copy, move, or rename operation.

If you protect a PDF fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it shouldn't work like that, but it sounds like more of an issue of the CD burning software than of Adobe software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do both files have the same exact file-size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, are you opening both files at the same time? Maybe if they have the same file ID then applying the password to one of them also works for the other...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately I still have the original disc. It does have protection. Seems to me that the reader should give the user tha option to keep the protection or remove it. I believe there is an option to remove it when the user tries to open it.

Thanks for your comments.

-

try67 <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

try67 created the discussion

"password protection on a CD/DVD is lost when copied to another CD."

To view the discussion, visit: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10735907#10735907

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer any of the questions asked above... Also, Reader is technically not capable of removing a security policy from a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I answered all the questions. I'll forward them to you if you wish. As I said, there is a remove option when opening the protected file. So it must be capable of doing that.

-

To view the discussion, visit: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10736432#10736432

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I can't help you further. I don't even know what application you're referring to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application doing the copy is Windows Explorer. Do you think it understands how to unprotect a pdf? I don't. The application doing the protect is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. This isn't the free version. I pay for the product and it seems to me that Adobe is ethically obligated to support it.

-

To view the discussion, visit: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10736534#10736534

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phillipr30442542  wrote

There is absolutely nothing that Windows Explorer does to the internals of a PDF file or any other type of file when it performs a copy, move, or rename operation.

If you protect a PDF file in Acrobat and save it and then open the file and see that the protection is still there, after simply closing the file, subsequent use of Windows Explorer to copy, move, or rename the file will not remove any PDF protections.

I've tried this on systems here at Adobe (simply copying files with Explorer and not between CDs or CDRs) and cannot repeat what you are reporting. There must be some step that you are performing (or not) that you aren't aware of and reporting to us for this symptom to occur.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I'll try it again and be very carefull to keep track over every step. If I take a sip of coffee, I'll record that Just kidding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dov,

You were correct. Windows Explorer(WE) doesn't do anything with Adobe

password protection. Thanks for your help.

I wanted to reproduce the problem where the WE  copy process was removing

protection. But WE crashed when I tried to copy a pdf to the CD. That hadn't

happened yesterday when I created the original disc. I would remember that.

Here's what I did after finding that Windows Explorer (WE) wasn't messing

with Adobe password protection. I wanted to demonstrate that it worked

correctly.

* Open WE

* Navigate to a protected file on a local system disk.

* Open another Windows Explorer(WE) session.

* Copy the protected file to a folder on the CD.

* It works. WE does not crash. The file retains it protected-ness.

* I opened the file and it asks for the password. It opens the file. No crash.

My attempt to reproduce the problem must have been flawed. By that I mean that,

when I copied the files from the system disk to the CD (now), I must have skipped

some step that I did (yeterday). OR did some step now that I didn't do yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the anwsers in the forum. Don't reply per email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're in the forum. I'm logged in right now and looking at them.

-

Bernd Alheit <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

Bernd Alheit created the discussion

To view the discussion, visit: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10736550#10736550

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you see in Adobe Acrobat under File > Properties > Security ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines