• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Displays different data in Reader vs Acrobat

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PDF that contains data sent in by a customer. When I open it in Adobe Reader, it displays the data that the customer entered. However, when the very same PDF is opened in Adobe Acrobat, it displays completely different data. I have looked at the PDF in a text editor and found text strings that correspond to the Reader-displayed data but I cannot find any strings that are displayed in the Acrobat display. I am finding this quite bizarre. Is it possible that the PDF has been hacked and can access the internet when opened in Acrobat?

I'm a relative novice when it comes to all things Adobe so please bear with me.

Any help that anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please post (full-window) screenshots of what you're seeing in both applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no, because of privacy regulations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's nearly impossible to help without seeing an actual example of this happening.

Can you produce a file with dummy data (that has the same behavior on your end), and share that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe is indeed bizarre. But you won't see most things in a PDF in plain text. Check indeed that both views are actually in the areas or Acrobat app. Not another app. If the app doesn't say Acrobat at the top, it isn't Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I start the applications, Adobe Reader and Acrobat, from the Start menu and then open the PDF from the application. That way I know which program is opening the PDF. One clue is that the values displayed in Reader can be "found" in the PDF by a text editor program such as NotePad. None of the values displayed in Acrobat is able to be found by that text editor. For privacy reasons, I cannot supply the actual PDF file to you which makes it a real challenge. I had hoped that someone had experienced this behaviour and would have been able to share their experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At File>Properties what can you see at Description?

Is the file saved on a local disc?

Does you use Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat Reader on the same system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Acrobat Pro version?

And what is your Acrobat Reader version?

I got a similar issue 2 or 3 years ago: with Acrobat Reader my clients saw the fields filled with the test data used during the design of the form, while with Acrobat Pro the form appeared blank.

I don't remember how I fixed the form, but I remember that it was laborious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines