Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file won't open with double click

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OSX 10.6.8/Acrobat 10.1.3.

Suddenly pdf files won't open with a double click, I now have to open Acrobat and file>open.

Also, once they're open, they won't close by clicking the red close dot, I now have to go to file>close.

Very frustrating!

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Sounds like they lost their Open With association.

Select a pdf, cmd+i to bring up info.

Within that dialog, their should be an Open With (Open all & open this file)

But the close anomaly suggests Repairing the Installation (Done within Acrobat)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like they lost their Open With association.

Select a pdf, cmd+i to bring up info.

Within that dialog, their should be an Open With (Open all & open this file)

But the close anomaly suggests Repairing the Installation (Done within Acrobat)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem as the other person.  No PDF I try to open will open in 10.1.3 on OS 10.7.4.  I've checked and double checked the Open With Association and that's not the problem.  Double clicking on a PDf actually will open Acrobat Pro, but the PDF just doesn't open.  Then when I go to close the PDF sometimes it won't close.

I wasn't having any of these problems until I updated to CS6.  After I did this I started having the issues.

You mentioned repairing the Acrobat installation, but I can't find anywhere to do this.  Can you point me in the right direction?  Maybe I should uninstall/reinstall Acrobat?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up uninstalling and then reinstalling Acrobat. All working well now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even reinstalling doesn't work with the standard Creative Suite installer. Except for the double-click bug, Acrobat doens't respond to dock-tasks either, like <right-mouse-click> on dock icon and select <quit>.

In this version of Acrobat, the repair function doen't seem to exist anymore. Sadly....

So the problem keeps existing, even with the laterst 10.1.4 version.

==========================

OSX 10.8 - Acrobat Pro X 10.1.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please follow the steps as mentioned in the KB article given below:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/trial--1-launch.html

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro is not in the Creative Suite. Acrobat CC is the CC product. It's not as useful as Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On OSX I got my CS6 suite pre-equipped on a larger hard drive, so I don't have any mechanism to re-install. (I don't even know how to confirm it's valid.)

However, using command W closes the open window without having to mouse my way to a menu item, so I can live with that.

Having "open with" not work is still a pain in the butt. I prefer OSX preview for most PDF viewing, and generally use Acrobat X Pro for OCR (which I finally got to work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work and is not an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Adobe Acrobat Pro this morning (version now reads 10.1.15), OS X 10.9.5 and when I double click any PDF (even those created natively on the computer) I receive the following error:

The Application "Adobe Acrobat Pro" can't be opened -600

Adobe is the default program to open all PDFs.  If I have the newest version of Acrobat open and I open the same PDF using the 'File Open' option in the drop down menu, then the PDF will open.

Its like the double-click ability to open has been broken.  Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue- after one of the various updates, Reader 11.0.13  will not open on any double-click or open-with command from the desktop.

I can open the same PDF with Apple Preview just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have cmd key- This is Windows PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with Acrobat DC, which is part of Creative Cloud. About once a week I run into a situation where I cannot open ANY PDF file... whether I double click the file or try to "Open" from within the Acrobat application.  To solve this, I uninstall Acrobat DC, and then reinstall it...which is a time-consuming interruption to my workflow.  I assume there must be an issue (perhaps a compatibility conflict) with the Acrobat software that needs to be addressed by Adobe.  I never had this problem until Creative Cloud updated me to Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Since upgrading to Acrobat DC I can no longer open ANY PDF file.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing works.  Working on OS X v. 10.9.5.

I would love to instal an earlier version of Adobe Reader but I can't find any download link that leads me to a installable version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Man! Same here. This is just so bloody frustrating. Adobe get your heads out of your butts and help us open our frickin PDFs!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. PDF does open however cannot be viewed unless I view FULL SCREEN. After escaping full screen, it no longer displays but Acrobat is still open. What the heck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem with Acrobat DC. What is going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another "me too" voice. Things have been getting weird here in the last week or two. Double-clicking PDFs won't open. But I've had the same thing happen a couple of times with JPGs and Photoshop. And no ... the "Open With" function isn't the problem. Here's why: Once the PDF has been double-clicked (or in Photoshop's case, a JPG or whatever) the PROGRAM does respond ... maximizes on top. It's like Acrobat DC is saying, "I hear you knocking, but I'm just gonna sit here and ignore it...." What a pain in the workflow!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I don't know exactly what has happened, I did find that when you are in Acrobat DC, click "Window" then "Cascade". You should be able to view pdf then. Craziness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me... thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks the Cascade option worked for me also.  Was working fine until the last update then could not see anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cascade option also worked for me (after an hour of closing and reopening and reinstalling...so frustrating...).  Thank you!!!!  Such an odd quirk...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked - thanks for the support and how STUPID that it has to be this way. I want to know the WHY behind this! Adobe? Anyone watching these forums? Jump in any time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU for posting this...been going crazy all day trying to fix this issue!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That totally worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines