Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF files partially printing out black

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For the past two years there has been a serious problem where some customers can not properly print out my PDF documents.
The problem is that this does not apply to all customers. Only some of them.

What happens is that in the viewer the PDF files show exactly the way they are intended but then when they are printed the middle of the document has a big black box covering the data that is on on the page.
It's not the same as where lines get covered in black(so not an encoding or font issue).
Even a part that has no text is being covered by this black rectangle.

I am NOT using an overlay in the PDF file.
However when i advise customers to print out the file as an image (by setting this in the advanced settings) the document gets printed just fine.
A select few even claim that not even printing as an image works for them though i suspect that they make that claim because they don't feel like changing the advanced settings.(out of hundreds that experience this issue there are only 3 of them that claim this work around doesn't work.)

Those same customers get to print PDF files offered by other companies no problem.

Either way it does not come across as professional when i offer customers this work around as a solution.
They ALL feel like i should remake the PDF files. which has been done already. several times.
using different software even.
Is there anyone experiencing the same issue? is there a solution for this?
I can not keep telling my customers to use this workaround as they are getting frustrated over this.
This is also not a consistent problem.
I have advised customers to update all drivers and adobe acrobat software yet it still does not seem to resolve the issue.

to sum up.

- PDF file shows to be perfect in the previewer.
- When printing the file it becomes blacked out partially.
- I am NOT using an overlay.
- Files print out correctly when printing as an image.
- Customers that experience this problem only have this with my files.

I cannot attach said documents as they contain sensitive information.

Description of File:

-My companies details - left upper corner (prints correct)
-Customers details - right below my companies details (prints correct)
-My companies Logo - upper right corner (prints correctly and in color)

-More customers details - below logo(prints correctly)

-Box spanning almost the entire width of the page containing document specific information {box created in as400 application using BOX(param param param param param) command} (this is where the black rectangle starts)

- Open space where there is nothing added (black rectangle uninterrupted)
-another box with headers for the tabel below this spanning same width as previous two items (black rectangle still uninterrupted)

- rectangle containing data in table format spanning allmost all the way down the page {created in as400 application using LINE(param param ) command} (black rectangle still uninterrupted)
-two more  boxes each spanning a third of the width separated by a third of white space {made in as400 using the BOX command) (This part is still inside the black rectangle. this is where the black rectangle stops.)
-White space between table and footer (prints correctly)
-Footer with metadata (spanning almost the entire width of the dowument) (a third black rectangle + a third that prints out as it should + a third black rectangle)

I have gone as far as picking this File up with a Java program to rewrite it yet the problem persists.
Every customer experiencing this problem is using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issues in the past when the memory of the printer crashed, that was a long time ago. Depending how the document is spooled it might create this type of issue. 

Is there a way you can flaten (in Acrobat DC) your file to reduce the 'computer language' complexity of the file and make it easier to process by your cients' system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly as this would slow down the process of sending said documents.
currently these files are being created by an AS400 PGM that is being called by a JAVA program which immediately sends it to the clients.
In order to apply your solution i would have to separate these programs and stop making these documents on the fly.
This would considerably affect our storage space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will discuss our options with the developer team btw. I'll keep you posted so your curiosity gets satisfied. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jonathan for your post, it helped me to solve the problem I experienced!

I collect diplomas, about 30+ every year. The digital archive is executed in PDF. But they are nicely printed out on A4 pages (to show them off).

The procedure is running for many years now, over time the Operating Systems have changed, as well as the hardware. MS to MAC etc. Still no problems until last month.... Part of the imagery was shown without any defects was printed in black, making the image useless. Couldn't find anything about the problem, until I found your post. The setting to image worked fine for me: nice picture like always! Attached are the file #17 and a photo of the earlier print "22". Problem solved, thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines