• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Icons used to Show Preview of Document - Now it shows PDF Icon

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat 8 on a 64bit Windows Vista Home Premium Operating System. I just bought this computer and installed Adobe Acrobat 8 on it. On my other two computers (one vista, one xp) the normal Adobe Acrobat File Icons are changed to show a preview of the first page of the document. I work a lot with long lists of Pdf files, and the preview feature has been a great help. I am wondering if there is a setting on my new computer that I need to change to replicate this function that I have been enjoying on my other two computers.
TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Hello All. I had the same issue. I am using Windows Home Premium with Service Pack 1. All I did to get the preview of my pdf files was to Open Acrobat Reader PC / Edit / Preferences / General - I then checked the box to "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" save your settings let Acrobat Reader do what it needs to do. (this only takes a few seconds) and that is it you will now have your previews.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, awesome. thank you for the fix, been searching for exactly this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the opposite problem, so I am hoping that the solution to yours might also entail a solution to mine.  I just installed Adobe Reader 9 on Windows 7 Professional (32 bit), and now my pdf icons show up as previews.  It's a nifty feature, but I'd prefer to turn it off.  Does anybody know if there is a way I can get Adobe Reader 9 to use a fixed icon rather than a preview?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 29, 2011 Dec 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find an answer for this??? I am sure you have since your post is rather old but just in case someone else gets here and needs it. I had the same issue and was searching for an answer. I saw this and since I fixed mine I thought I would tell you what I did.

Opened Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options

Go to the View tab

Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

Hit Apply

All your PDF files on your desktop should now show with the generic PDF icon.

Reverse this to get the preview icon "thumbnails".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you - this was so helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I afgree. I hate those icons. They are annoying and make the list much longer. The previous version had jsut file names. How can I get rid of those icons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To show a PDF thumbnail / Icon:

1. Open Acrobat program

2. Select File, Open and then select a folder with pdf documents

3. Select View Menu, then select "Tiles"

Acrobat now shows a thumbnail / Icon / preview for pdfs in that folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new computer with Windows 8 O/S and Reader XI . My preview icons have now disappeared and only the pdf icon shows. Will this fix also work for Windows 8? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't receive any replies so decided to try the fix anyway - it worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the fix - it ran correctly on Windows 8 64 bit, Adobe Pro - but the icons remain Adobe Logo no matter what I do - tried changing file properties to every conceivable combo - no luck - posted question in support forum... we shall see what Adobe says...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat X Pro on Windows 7, 64 Ultimate. I generate the thumbnails by opening the first one and then save as PDF in the directory. This will generate the correct thumbnails. I also browse through several directories, whilst the save as is open. So, now I have all thumbnails, showing the first page of the documents.

After about a week, or sometimes more, all thumbnails turn back into generic pdf's. I use the same procedure again, to regenerate all thumbnails. I have done this now for the past few months and is driving me nuts. I have no idea as to why and when they will turn back to generic ones. I has happened again today. Nothing downloaded, nothing installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pretentiousname.com 'Fix' is very helpful and quite generous for them to have provided it free of charge, but it is not a complete solution.

It does not solve the issue with thumbnail previews of PDFs when viewed through Windows Explorer on a Windows 7/8 64 bit machine but it does not solve the issue of thumbnail previews of shortcuts to PDFs when viewed through Windows Explorer on a Windows 7/8 64 bit machine.

You can open each folder that contains PDFs from within Acrobat Reader and it will generate the previews for both PDF files and shortcuts to PDF files, and having done that you will see the previews from Windows Explorer... but if you update a folder with a new shortcut to a PDF then you would have to first view the list of files in the folder from within Acrobat Reader before it works from Windows Explorer.

This is killing us as we have thousands of folders and tens of thousands of PDF files and having recently upgraded to 64 bit Windows we know understand why so many people are upset, but fail to understand why Adobe has chosen not to do anything about it despite years of knowing about this problem.  We feel particularly foolish as we have spent a considerable amount of money on Adobe products for our office (including AutoCAD).

Adobe has no viable solution, not even something like a script for Acrobat to automatically scan all folders and sub folders and build the thumbnail previews so that thumbnails will appear in Windows Explorer for either PDFs or shortcuts to PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I wrote that badly, so let me clarify my point...

The pretentiousname.com 'Fix' does solve the issue with thumbnail previews of PDFs when viewed through Windows Explorer on a Windows 7/8 64 bit machine but it does not solve the issue of thumbnail previews of shortcuts to PDFs when viewed through Windows Explorer on a Windows 7/8 64 bit machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix seems to have worked for my issue, as well. If there are concerns about downloading and running an .exe file from an apparently kind-yet-unknown source, one workaround might be to use the following setting in Windows Explorer, which I've been resorting to for a while:

• Navigate to a folder with PDF files.
  • In "view" settings, change to "arrange by type." In the Explorer window, choose the stack of PDF icons.
  • Also, check to make sure the view setting is for medium, large or extra large icons.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 09, 2014 Aug 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 7/64

I have to resort going to a folder, open the first pdf file in the root folder, click on "save as" and scroll through the entire directory, then the next folder and so on. This will generate the thumbnails as you scroll through. However, they will turn back into generic icons a few weeks later. No idea what the cause, but I then go through the whole process again.

This does not work on my Win 8/64 machine. Although the icons a generated, they disappear again when the same folder is opened the next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the thumbnails show up in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All. I had the same issue. I am using Windows Home Premium with Service Pack 1. All I did to get the preview of my pdf files was to Open Acrobat Reader PC / Edit / Preferences / General - I then checked the box to "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" save your settings let Acrobat Reader do what it needs to do. (this only takes a few seconds) and that is it you will now have your previews.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines