• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF is Reformatting

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PDF is reformatting when opened by others and in other formats. Is there any way to lock the information and formatting? I dont care if its printed since its a resume but I dont want it to reformat all wrong. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the name of the Adobe program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using the adobe acrobat program. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "reformatting."

The PDF file format was designed to preserve the layout and appearance of your original document, and definitely not change that when it is opened and viewed on a different computer.

Do you mean that the fonts are changing?

Or are the lines of text re-wrapping the text, changing the line endings?

And what version of Acrobat are you using? See Help / About Acrobat  (Windows) or Acrobat / About Acrobat (Mac).

Instructions at: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html 

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have created a PDF without embedded fonts, or have unembedded them in an attempt to make a smaller PDF. Open your PDF in Acrobat or Reader and go to File> Properties> Fonts, they should all say Embedded, or Embedded Subset. If they don't, you should re-make your PDF and choose the settings that will embed the fonts.

Upon re-reading your post, I see you are concerned by people opening your PDF in other formats. They should only be using Acrobat or Reader to view or print your PDF, although a PDF with properly embeded fonts should display fine in most viewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So the PDF is a resume that I created in this resume building app. I saved it and uploaded it to these web portals for different jobs. Someone viewing my resume let me know that the web portal they use to view my resume skews all the line spacing and basically reformats the page. She sent me a screen shot of it too. Since this is for a prospective job I dont mind them saving or printing my resume. Could it also be the web portal they use where my resume is uploaded? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have Acrobat? I'm guessing not, or you would have checked the font embedding. You can download Adobe Reader, which is free, where you can check for proper font embedding.

I don't know how you can address your issue, other than contacting the maker of the resume builder app. If you had Acrobat, (and the needed fonts) you might be able to fix the embedding issue, if that is indeed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines