Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Optimizer: broken hyperlinks

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm working as a typographer for scientific publications. For our main periodical, articles are being published online first then on paper. Before exporting PDF for the online community, I check each URL to make sure that hyperlinks will be active, then I'm exporting from InDesign (CC 2019 14.0.3) as PDF Print using the Include Hyperlinks setting. So far success, all hyperlinks end up responding to mouse hover and are active.

As I wanted to reduce the file size of some of those PDFs, I used PDF Otimizer in Acrobat Pro DC (2022.001.20112), unfortunately all hyperlinks end up broken, except those for emails (using mailto:). I created custom settings but it doesn't work either with the Mobile default preset. Note that when I mouse hover, the cursour changes shape, from a pointer to a hand but the inside is blank, whereas a lowercase w appears when the hypelink is active. I found this post witnessing the same problem: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/save-as-optimized-destroys-hyperlinks/m-p/1131659...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mathieu Christe

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using actual link objects, or are you relying on the application's built-in setting to convert plain-text URLs into clickable links? Can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the proper Hyperlinks panel to make sure that even hyperlinks ending up on two lines will work. Here's the article I've used to make tests: https://vdgbox.ville-geneve.ch/index.php/s/pezzonGzKFDfxjb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, make sure you are NOT flattening transparency in the PDF optimizer. This completely deletes and replaces the pages that need flattening, losing all interactivity. Turn this option off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flattening transparency is OFF (I've tested using the default Mobile preset where this option is off).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines