• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as Optimized destroys hyperlinks

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I design a publication for print and web in InDesign. The document contains lots of images and a couple hundred hyperlinks, which I set up in the ID hyperlinks panel. When I export it as an interactive PDF, everything looks and works fine, but the file size is almost 10Mb. If I Save As Optimized PDF, it is reduced by about 3 megabytes and still looks good, but many hyperlinks quit working. In particular: if the link text is all caps; if the link text is in a shaded/colored textbox; if a long link breaks across 2 lines (oddly, some that break still work fine).

In addition, any hyperlink destinations for a specific page within the PDF completely disappear. 

I've unchecked everything relating to hyperlinks and bookmarks in the Optimization options, to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

For anyone else finding this old thread, like me, here is a fix that worked in my case:

1. In Acrobat, export, save as Optimized, save as Reduced file size, whatever way you want, and don't worry about losing hyperlinks. Call that file "tmp.pdf" for example. You won't be keeping it.

2. Close "tmp" and re-open you original file with working hyperlinks.

3. Select all the page thumbnails, right-click on a page thumbnail and choose "Replace Pages..."

4. Choose the entire page range, from page start

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty much expected. Transparency flattening often loses links. What you're Doing wrong is using the optimize step. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Test...

Unfortunately, the same thing happens to my hyperlinks when I uncheck the Transparency flattening/resolution option.

I think something else is going on. 

In the meantime, I got the file down to 6.15 Mb by Saving as a Reduced file size, and then replacing one very complex vector graphic with a jpg. All my hyperlinks, internal and external, still work fine.

I guess I'll skip Optimization from  now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else finding this old thread, like me, here is a fix that worked in my case:

1. In Acrobat, export, save as Optimized, save as Reduced file size, whatever way you want, and don't worry about losing hyperlinks. Call that file "tmp.pdf" for example. You won't be keeping it.

2. Close "tmp" and re-open you original file with working hyperlinks.

3. Select all the page thumbnails, right-click on a page thumbnail and choose "Replace Pages..."

4. Choose the entire page range, from page start to page last, and OK.

5. Save this as a different name. It will (hopefully!) combine the optimization of tmp.pdf while keeping all your hyperlinks, form elements, etc.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the sollution of all sollutions.
So far works great for me. Many thanks pal!

-F

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's genius! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saved my day, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines