• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Portfolio and Flash Player

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe XI PDF Portfolio to send fillable forms to vendors each month. They complete the forms within the folder and return them to my attention, then I export the documents to Excel.
I read that Flash Player is going to be removed after the year ends and was concerned because Portfolio uses Flash Player to run.
Will Portfolio be updated to run without FP or is there another program that works the same way?
Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and am using a quick workaround. I posted a fuller reply on the main thread.

Short version:

Right click and "Combine Files..."

It drops all enclosed files into a single PDF with bookmarks.

Hope that helps, or at least (like me) allows you to hobble along while IT sorts things out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this trick saved me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for this workaround! I tried it and then I tried saving it as a PDF portfolio and it worked! So, if you hit combine files then before you hit the combine button, hit options and check the Save As PDF Portfolio box, click ok. Then the combine button. It turns it into a new PDF Portfolio :). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is still looking for a workaround - When we try to open a PDF Portfolio, we get the flash player error and then the portfolio only shows some of the files within it. 

Solution - When you are in your portfolio, right-click on the left of the screen where the files are tiled and create a new folder. Label it whatever, we will delete it when we are done. Open the newly created file. The file is empty (obviously) but you will see that there is now a back arrow in that same left area. Click that back arrow and it will take you to the screen you started in, BUT click it again and you will see all of your folders/files.

Unfortunately you have to do this every time you open a portfolio but at least you didn't lose your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel_Geraci,

hi everyone,

do you/everyone know, if there is a Windows command line tool, to detect PDF Portfolio files, that uses intern flash?

In want to search recursive through our file system of thousands files, to find PDF Portfolio files, that uses intern flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of such a tool, but it might be possible to create one.

If you're interested in hiring a professional to create it for you, feel free to contact me privately by clicking my user-name and then on "Send a Message".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

in PDF portfolio files, that I viewed with notepad++, lines that start with "<</Collection " seems to indicate, that the PDF File is a PDF portfolio file.

Can someone please confirm my suggestion?

Thank you.

Please see also the PDF portfolio file part, that i viewed with notepad++.

1 0 obj
<</Collection 5 0 R/Extensions<</ADBE<</BaseVersion/1.7/ExtensionLevel 3>>>>/MarkInfo<</Marked true>>/Metadata 2 0 R/Names 6 0 R/PageMode/UseAttachments/Pages 3 0 R/PieceInfo 7 0 R/StructTreeRoot 8 0 R/Type/Catalog>>
endobj

Does somebody know, how i can find an indication for the use of flash in a PDF portfolio file when I use Notepad++ to view the file? 

Does sombody know free PDF-programming libraries, that supports me to detect PDF - Portfolio files, that uses internally flash? 

Maybe someone of these PDF libraries https://www.thefreecountry.com/sourcecode/free-pdf-libraries.shtml  ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I extensively use Portfolios within Acrobat DC unfortunately I uninstalled flash yesterday and now I am not able to view all the files contained within the portfolio like I was able to view prior to uninstalling flash (MacBook Pro -it Sur) ... So never dreaming this was a flash issue I uninstalled flash on my MacBook Air (Catalina) and now have the same behavior on both computers ... any help or suggestions 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am running into the problem that I've created a form for distribution, and when people send it back, I am getting the error that Flash Player is gone.  I cannot get the data imported into my "response" sheet.  Please assist as this is a big project I've been working on needing data from 90 different people.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am having same issue, opening file ok but when I look and each folder on the left pane all folders are empty, however I think the attachments are there because the pdf is 532,954 kb

we need to access this files , can you please provide a solutino we are a law firm and need to get infomation on a few cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We found that openinb the affected file, and then saving it as webpage into a local folder, you can then go and search that created web site folder for *.pdf, then you will get a result with all the PDF files containe din the PDF Portfolio file. then simply copy all the PDF files shown in ressult and past into a new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Melanie5EF8,

I found a solution hopefully it helps you and others,

If you have flash installed in your pc, uninstall first.

Then make sure you are running the latest Acrobat Reader DC

Open the PDF Portfolio file

You will see the folders and attachments on the left , this folders are empty when you clock them , right clock on the folder and click on open folder you will see all your files there, to go back click on the arrow back to the left and then you can see another folder.

All flash did is make the presentation look pretty but you still have the functionality .

Hope this helps you and other people having the same issue .

What a day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a list of folders and attachments on the left. I inserted a screenshot above of how my portfolio appears. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

H Melanie5EF8,

i had the same problems you descibed.

With an actual free version of Foxit PDF Reader I managed to read PDF portfolio files created with Acrobat PDF Maker Office addin, that contains flash.

Also Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 works fine for me to read PDF portfolio files created with Acrobat PDF Maker Office addin, that contains flash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man! This helped me BIG TIME! I wasn't able to see anything and then tried to uninstall Flash with the uninstaller tools from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_...

After uninstalling Flash and restarting the computer, I was able to see all the files in all Portfolio files.

Hope this helps other people as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is picking back up now that Adobe Flash is being dumped from machines.

I have had the exact same problem but have been using a quick and easy workaround.

Right click on the offending portfolio, select "Combine Files in Acrobat" and it brings up the combine dialogue box. It has always kept the individual document order for me but YMMV.

The output is to a single PDF with automatically created bookmarks to navigate around it. (at least in my experience it automaticall created bookmarks)

The only big bummer for me is that doing so STRIPS all digital signatures, which is a stinker.

The only way I've been able to keep them is using "Print to Image" which is lame-o.

hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Masonian Yes, and wow, when I started the topic, I didn't foresee the interest/response! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or never mind me. I was thinking I had started this topic, but I only replied early on. Looks like the edit/delete options aren't available at the moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combining files might be a workaround, but it's no solution. By the way, opening the portfolio in Firefox works as well. On the other hand, with Edge I don't get a navigation window.

Newly created portfolios are no problem. We are by law obligated to keep records for 10 years. So obviously some have been created with much older versions.

We are using Acrobat Pro 2020, not DC. Since that is deployed company wide, nobody has Acrobat Reader. We have just uninstalled Flash everywhere.

I am new here. Does Adobe look into this? Is there a chance for a real solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those looking for a solution to this issue, I've developed a stand-alone tool that will convert a Flash-based Portfolio to a non-Flash based one (basically just a regular PDF with the original files attached to it). It is bundled with this other (paid-for) tool I've developed, and can be found here: https://www.try67.com/tool/convert-portfolio-pdf-to-normal-pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines