• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Portfolio and Flash Player

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe XI PDF Portfolio to send fillable forms to vendors each month. They complete the forms within the folder and return them to my attention, then I export the documents to Excel.
I read that Flash Player is going to be removed after the year ends and was concerned because Portfolio uses Flash Player to run.
Will Portfolio be updated to run without FP or is there another program that works the same way?
Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the PDF Portfolio navigators require Flash. The packaging of multiple PDF files into a single PDF container will continue to function. Even Portfolios with navigators will continue to function. They just won't look all that pretty. You'll just see a list or a set of tiles rather than navigating the files through the Flash UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joel_Geraci1 can you point us to some documentation on creating PDF containers? How about converting/migrating PDF portfolios with navigator, to PDF containers?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF Portfolio is the container format. You don't have to do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Joel_Geraci1. That makes sense. From your previous response to the topic, I thought there might be a PDF container type distinct from PDF Portfolio. I'm still wondering how I can make sure I'm creating a Portfolio without a navigator and how to convert/migrate a Portfolio with a navigator to a Portfolio without. In your previous response, you indicated that Portfolios with navigators would continue to function without Flash Player, but wouldn't look so great. I'd like to migrate/convert some Portfolios that seem to have a navigator, to Portfolios without. When setting up a new computer recently, upon opening one of these Portfolios in Acrobat Pro XI, I was prompted to install Flash Player. Before Flash Player was installed, it wouldn't show thumbnails of the Portfolio contents. When I downloaded/installed Flash Player, I was reminded of its imminent obsolescence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Joel was saying (but will correct me if I'm wrong) is that the navigators will stop working but the underlying container will keep working. However, there were important updates to Acrobat this year concerning Flash and you might have to get rid of your ancient apps to make it work nicely...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the Acrobat version or other PDF viewer, the fallback will be to a Portfolio with a generic navigator or just attachments to the "Cover Sheet". You don't lose any PDF files, you just lose the experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create portfolios with Acrobat DC it doesn't use Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still on XI? That's really old. With Acrobat DC, you can't create Portfolios with Flash Layouts (Navigators) so you really don't need to worry about it. Just create your Portfolio as normal. They aren't as pretty but they are future proof.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  We use PDF Portfolios (with Flash) a LOT and obviously now cannot access any of our Portfolios - is there a work around so that we can recover the documents we have lost? Also, what are our options going forward for this type of set up? We use them much like a "electronic" 3-ring binder - so that you can flip through a collection of signed documents and easily get the one you need.  We provide copies of them to our clients who will likely now not be able to open theirs either (and unfortunately our IT department did not make us aware of this change). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can send you one privately, however because we are a lawfirm, cannot post here for public view. Is there a way for me to send that to you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here - all of our correspondence with legal clients are archived by created PDF portfolios. What a way to ruin my day than finding our files are not accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company is having the exact same problem for existing files and files going forward. Currently using Adobe XI Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also having the same problem, I assume on files created in older versions of Acrobat.  Adobe needs to provide a way to get the individual files out of the portfolio, or an update to Acrobat that allows the files created in older versions to open without flash enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, using Pro DC. The pdf portfolios created in an older version only show the last file added. The files are there, I can do a portfolio search and see them (if I know what I'm searching for). There doesn't appear to be a way to export and save with non-flash settings. But then again, if I go to the Sign In/Out, I get a message telling me it's still trying to initialize... so maybe something just isn't working right in the setup. I'm on a corporate machine, and there is little to zero support in adjusting setups of these kinds of programs.

Pdf Portfolios saved in the newer versions seem to be working fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having that exact problem as well. We have a static version of XL (non subscription based). Do we have to upgrade to DC? Or is there another solution?? TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same...our business used portfolios a lot, need the docs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the portfolio in Acrobat Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat DC you can see a list of all documents on the left side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a list of the documents on the left side when I open the files in Adobe Acrobat DC. I'm only able to see the first email of the portfolio. These portfolios were created with the Acrobat PDF Maker Office addin, so they don't appear like portfolios created using the Acrobat>create portfolio option.

Acrobat_no flash.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Melanie5EF8. This is exactly what we do as well. A solution to this would be beyond appreciated. One question; did you always have Acrobat DC or were you using Acrobat XI before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe we had XI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be the case , honestly my users have not complained about that yet but I might encounter that problem later, I guess I do not have an answer for that one , maybe someone else does ?
If you find the answer please let me know ☺
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were using XI, and before that X, etc. From what I can tell, the portfolios created recently in DC are still accessible. The ones that I cannont access are created from an earlier version of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines