• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to disable SharePoint check-in/out prompt without disabling all SharePoint integration

Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

While the article "What's New in Acrobat X, Version 10.1" (http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfitmatters/2011/06/whats-new-in-acrobat-x-version-10-1.html) claims as a new feature the ability to disable the SharePoint check-in/check-out prompt, I cannot find any options for this in the Acrobat X 10.1 application, and furthermore, in response to a user question on this topic, instructions are given to edit a registry key to disable the SharePoint integration features, as below:

"Create a new key “cSharePoint” at “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockDown”

In this key, create a new DWORD Value “bDisableSharePointFeatures”

Set its value to 1"

My question is: Is it possible to disable the SharePoint check-in/check-out prompt only, as suggested by the above article, without disabling all of the SharePoint integration features (as the registry edit would do)?

Many Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The option to disable SharePoint Integration via registry entry disables all of SharePoint integration. There is no way to "disable" the check-out prompt only. I'm not sure what you mean by just disabling the prompt, but i'm guessing that you mean something like "Always check out on open" type of functionality should be supported. If that's the case, you may submit a feature request for it.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richa,

Thanks for your response, this confirms what I thought.

Sorry I wasn't totally clear in the first instance, the article I was referring to used the phrase "Disable Check-Out Prompt" which sounds like it is specific to the Check-Out prompt, not all of the SharePoint integration features.

What I mean is that Adobe Acrobat X prompts for check-out, regardless of whether the relevant SharePoint document library is set to "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited". Users find it confusing that they have set this option to "No", but Acrobat still prompts them to check-out documents when they attempt to edit them.

It seems that Acrobat does not take this setting into account when editing documents from SharePoint document libraries, is this correct?

If this is the case, I will submit a feature request to have this functionality enabled.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just like all other good software, do NOT bug us every time we open something! Do NOT always check out. Just open without checking out, and THEN, IF we edit, ask if you should checkout and checkin. 95% of the time we do not edit, so the upfront question is USELESS. How difficult can this be????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem. We use Acrobat Reader X for adding comments to PDf-files, but most of the time the user only wants to read the document.

So he likes to open the document without the dialog to checkout the document or just open it.

After opening the PDF the Sharepoint Integration must be available to check out the document.

Disable the SP Integration in the registry also removes the Sharepoint Integration menu in the Acrobat Reader X.

Is there some news on this issue or how can we configure this requirement ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that we can't disable the check-out option has actually become such a big nuisance that we had to invest in other PDF reading software. People continually select the default action of checking out, thereby blocking other organisation users! this  places huge pressure on IT to run around and force uncheck-out files.

this is the worst feature I've ever seen with Adobe, since it cannot be disabled in any setting anywhere!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These folks have been dormant since 2012! Really, I don't know, what kind of people are working at Adobe!Please get this done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we have found that has made some difference with SharePoint 2013 and Adobe XI, was also having MS Office 2013. Now, why would having MS Office 2013 make a difference? I do not know but it seems to make things a bit easier.

Also - what I have done to bypass the check out (even if the doc library is not set to check-in, check-out) is after opening the pdf document (opens as a temp internet file), make my changes, then File, Save As, and then save either by saving to the shortcut I made under Favorites (to the SP Library) in Window Explorer or by Saving to Online Account (location already mapped) after clicking on Save As.

Still don't know what the fix is to not have it open as a temporary internet file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Have you ever had an answer regarding this issue??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best work-around I've found is to use the "send to" and publish it to a library the audience can reach.  That seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if the Adobe dev team is working on an option that one can select to turn off the default behaviour of prompting users for check out and edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any update on this? I would also like to have some feature in place to stop lots of people who "continually select the default action of checking out, thereby blocking other organisation users"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later after the original poster and we still have this issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 years later, and still no solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Any progress on the case anyone? People are checking documents out in a library were none is supposed to be and it is greatly troublesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least all they need to do is change the order to 'Open' 'Check out & Open' 'Close'

and change the default button to 'Open'

How hard is that I mean really my cat could make that change.

Sadly this is increasingly typical of Adobe, how long has this been going on for, definitely not a listening company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree.

SharePoint has a lot of users checked out by users just because they opened the document for viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue when trying to quick print from File Explorer in Windows.

When printing a PDF (or several PDFs in one go) from File Explorer (using right-click -> Print), if the files are located locally or on a file server they will print normally without the need to open Acrobat or FoxitPDF etc. But if the PDFs are in Sharepoint, the "Check out & Open....etc" prompt interrupts the print process and forces the user to open the PDF in Acrobat, for every file selected, and to respond to the prompt on each document before the PDF will print.

So in effect, the quick print option from File Explorer for Sharepoint PDFs no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a similar problem.  The goal of our setup is to make the use of writeable PDFs that inexperienced users fill with information.  We want the experience for these users to be a simplistic as possible, so asking questions like "Do you want to check-out this document?" and "What are the check-in comments" causes much questioning; especially since these prompts are unnecessary.  But we do need SharePoint support for these documents.

There is a way to suppress the check-out prompt if you are willing to do a moderate amount of programming and use the SharePoint client DispEx call; you can force the check-out.  But since the final three prompts are encoded completely within Acrobat (1 - "Do you want to save your changes?", 2 - "Do you want to check-in this document?" and 3- "What are your check-in comments?"...all of which we would love to completely supress) we currently have no choices.

Even patching Acrobat would not be an option, because we would have to force everyone to patch their client copy of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an Adobe Acrobat issue. Acrobat has nothing to do with the user being asked about checkouts for editing. The library where you're storing the PDF is configured to require a checkout before editing. There is no way around that. Period. If you want the document to simply open, then you need to setup a SharePoint Library without that setting.

Not Adobe's problem. Ask Microsoft to implement a more granular "checkout for editing" feature. If they did that by file/mime type it would make many people's live very much simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trent, I wish that was true. For all libraries (including the libraries NOT using check-in check-out) the popup is shown. What is worse, eventhough the library is configured to NOT use checkout, documents get checked out. Disabling the complete SharePoint integration does prevent users to check documents out... but it also removes the option to save updates (comments etc).

I'm also looking for a solution... Is there anyone of Adobe that can comment on this thread? If the functionality is never going to get in place, I'll start looking for another PDF writer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I agree, that many users open file only for viewing/reading not for editing and I am sure SharePoint users are aware of Check-in/check-out functionality.

While you try to open SharePoint doc via Acrobat/Reader, it prompts you following three options:

1.) Check Out & Open

2.) Open

3.) Cancel

• If you want to open a file for editing, go with option 1, this will stop other users to edit the document while you are making changes to the file, Once you are done with editing, Save it and discard check-out/Check-in the file(these options are shown to user when you try to close the file) which will make file to available for editing to other users.
  • And if you want only to read/view the document, go with option 2.

So as per your requirement, you can use available options.

Please let us know if required.

-Thanks

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, but do you know if there is a permanent way of actually disassociating Adobe Acrobat Reader with SharePoint? I've tried the first solution suggested by the creator of this topic, and it works on my computer, but for some reason won't work on my clients' PC. I've recently tried other options like [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mainsoft\Prefs\OpenPDFWithWebDav] @="false", but these do not work on my clients' PC either.

I'm particularly having this issue from opening PDFs through Harmon.ie, which is essentially a mini-SharePoint tucked in your Outlook as a plug-in, but disabling AAR from SharePoint will work the same.

I want to completely disable SharePoint from Adobe; how is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe staff answer does not meet the needs of our user community. As stated above, many libraries end up with multiple documents checked out because users don't understand or don't read the prompt. I am now advising users to uninstall Acrobat Reader and use a different product because of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reply is not helpful at all, you clearly did not read the actual question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines